Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Georg Brandstetter GJR 85 / documents, medals, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georg Brandstetter GJR 85 / documents, medals, etc.

Hi,

I was able to acquire some items from a grouping that was sold at a local auction. It belonged to the NCO, later officer Georg Brandstetter in a Gebirgsjäger Regiment. I want to share those with you today.

Particularly interesting is the soldiers battle damaged watch. The story goes that the watch saved the soldiers life. He had just lifted his arm when a bullet hit him. Instead of hitting his chest that bullet was deflected by that watch. Looking at the watch I rather think it might have been some kind of shrapnel that hit it but its battle damaged in any case.

The soldier joined the I.R.85 that was reorganized as Gebirgsjäger Regiment 85. He took part in the battles of Poland, France, Greece, Crete, etc. as part of the 5. Gebirgsdivision. Included in the grouping was for example his Kreta-cufftitle that proves the soldiers service on crete. Unfortunately it went to another buyer like some other neat items (WB, IAB, etc.)

Also very interested is the EK1 that is accompanied by a short report about how he deserved it during a battle at the Metaxas-line by capturing greek positions at the mountain Istibei and being the first of his Kompanie to take prisoners in that battle.

The other items are a bulgarian medal, an early black wound badge and his discharge form:

As I am particularly interested in mountain troops and items from local soldiers (Georg Brandstetter lived in the town where I went to school) this is a quite a special grouping for my collection. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Kind regards

Ben

Very very nice, congrats!!

Comment

Excellent grouping Ben. Well photographed too!

Bryant

Comment

Wonderful grouping
        That watch speaks for itself
        Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Very nice grouping indeed !!!! Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X