oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grouping of Captain Lewis Edwards Diley, USN (Ret)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grouping of Captain Lewis Edwards Diley, USN (Ret)

On a trip into town this morning, I followed an estate sale sign; and despite a sprained knee, stopped and hobbled in to have a look.

I'm glad I did.

I found this grouping behind a glass and inquired to one of the ladies running the sale about the family; i.e. children & grand-children. She just shrugged and said this was "what was left".

Here's a complete bio on the gentleman:

http://www.memorialsolutions.com/sit...er=212753Diley

National Defense Service Medal with star, Navy Occupational Service Medal (Europe), Navy Expeditionary Medal, Two (2) Meritorious Unit Commendations, Navy Unit Commendation, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy Commendation Medal and the Defense Superior Service Medal.

I don't collect U.S. items, but I just could not leave there without these; I was worried they would be separated and the provenance/history lost.
    Last edited by Sevrin; 03-15-2014, 12:47 PM.

Glad you picked them up.

I can only shake my head in disbelief that anyone
    in the family could not have wanted to keep family history
    where it belongs.

So much for family....

Often wondered if those that served on submarines
    what percentage later ended up with cancer?

Comment

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
      Glad you picked them up.

I can only shake my head in disbelief that anyone
      in the family could not have wanted to keep family history?
      Thank you

My concern was that these would get separated and the provenance lost or someone would give the ribbons to their kids to play with.

There were some letters there he had written too; although they weren't priced. I was going to go back there this morning and get those but the sale was over. Apparently yesterday was the last day, so I was lucky to get what I did.

Initially I didn't buy the Defense medal; but after second thoughts, I went back and got it. When I did, she gave me this; don't know what it is - just a hollow piece of medal with engravings from his time as exec on the Casimir:

I'm sure someone here will be able to ID it though.

Comment

Glad to see you managed by to keep the group together, and that they are going to a good home
        Si
        Regards
        Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X