oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JG 400 Veteran Joachim Hohne passed away this week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JG 400 Veteran Joachim Hohne passed away this week.

Just wanted to pass along the news that my dear friend and somewhat adopted grandfather, Joachim Hohne (or Hoehne as we spell it) passed away late Monday night at the age of 85.

Joachim was the only son of Ritterkreuztrager Walter Otto Hohne, and he served as a Flakhelfer as K1 in a six-gun 88mm battery while also undertaking glider training in the Flieger Hitlerjugend. When he entered the Luftwaffe in 1944, he volunteered for pilot duty with the ME163 Komet and was trained at Udetfield with III/JG400 before being assigned to Sprottau - he was seventeen at that time. He ended the war as part of a Luftwaffe Kampfgruppe north of Nuremberg as an Unteroffizier and Oberfahnrich.

"Joe" as he was widely known, came to the U.S. in 1953 and lived here ever since. He built most of the interstate systems we now travel on as a concrete engineer and also built the runways that are currently at Barksdale AFB here in Louisiana.

I had the honor of editing his memoirs which he recorded in a book entitled "Glory Refused; The Memoirs of a Teenage Rocket Pilot of the Third Reich" years ago and both he and his wife Ursula became like family to me and my daughter. Joe continued flying a Cessna 170 up until about 8 years ago, he was VERY active in the community and with the National WWII Museum in New Orleans and spoke numerous times to the 8th Air Force Society at Barksdale.

Just wanted to let everyone know another Komet pilot has passed, please feel free to spread the word - he was a truly great gentleman.

May he rest in peace.
    The group of WWII veterans is shrinking very fast.

Comment

Very sad to hear of his passing! somwhere around here I have a signed copy of his book which I found to be a hell of a good read and highly recommend it!
      Rest in Peace Joachim, may you finally enjoy a ride in the Comet up there with all the other flying great ones!

Kevin

Comment

Sad to see another veteran passing. God bless!!!

Comment

My Condolences to all his family.
          RIP and God Bless.
          Regards,
          Andy

Comment

Rip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X