Flieger Oberleutnant d.R. Arthur Oertel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flieger Oberleutnant d.R. Arthur Oertel

I served with a fine NCO several years ago whose father was in the Luftwaffe during WW2, captured, sent Stateside and returned to Germany, only to later immigrate back to the States in the 50's. One day he brought in his Grandfathers medals for me to identify as he knew very little about his Grandfather, only that he was a flyer in WW1. What really caught my eye was of course the War Service Cross from the Principality of Reuss! The construction was just fantastic.

Since I had some time this summer, I spied the thread on the bravery medals of Reuss on the WAF and thought this would be a great time to display this gentleman's awards. A member challenged that he would be a Bavarian Pilot/Observer and hold the War Service Cross from Reuss, so I was determined to run him to ground.

Naturally I called on Gerdan for help and as always he steered me in several directions from the Munich Archives to the Thuringen Archives. Neither proved fruitful, though I had pictures of the Oberleutnant along with a date of birth. I was referred to the Military Archives in Freiburg last week, but did not have a chance to send them an email.

I spoke with the granddaughter of the man who remembers walking with him until he died of appendicitis in 1938. She shared several of her memories of how he was defended from a Red crowd by one of his enlisted men while he was in Munich right after the end of the war and still in uniform. She told me that he was a university student prior to the war and volunteered when the war broke out. Naturally remembering more of the post war years when he worked for the Zoll insuring that the Breweries in the eastern districts paid their taxes to the government.

I received an email today from a great resource on the Imperial German Air Service in WW1: Frontflieger.de I had written them back in August along with Cross & Cockade, hoping to get something. Frontflieger came through with his entire military record from when he entered the military to the time he took Officer training, Flying training and the units he served with during the war. I'm sure that both daughter and grandson will be pleased to add to the family history left behind when they immigrated to America. Thanks God, they took Opa's medal with them when they came!!!!
    Attached Files

His Service Record

Arthur Oertel

* 24.07.1888 Röttersdorf

1/4/10 Einjährig Freiwilliger LwIR 6;

1/10/10 Gefreiter

31/3/11 Unteroffizier

21/5/13 Vizefeldwebel

7/8/14 Offizierstellvertreter und Zugführer Landwehr IR 6;

4/10/14 LdR;

23/6/ - 6/7/15 Urlaub;

1/10/15 FEA Schleißheim kommandiert

30/10/15 RLZ Bluterguß im Knie;

15/11/15 FEA Schleißheim versetzt

1/10/15 Beo-Kurs VIII/14;

26/1/16 AFP Falkenhausen versetzt

31/1/16 FFA 65 kommandiert

24/3/16 bFFA 1 versetzt

31/8/16 bFEA Schleißheim versetzt

3/11/ - 10/12/16 Urlaub und Lazarett

28/11/16 FBS zugeteilt;

9/1/17 Rekruten Depot

13/1/17 Werftkompanie

25/1/17 AFP C versetzt

12/ - 29/6/17, 21/- 29/6/17, 10/ - 14/10/17 und 12/ - 26/12/17
    stellvertretender Führer AFP C

11/1/ - 31/1/18 Lazarett wegen Quetschung und Zahnbruch;

15/3/18 Oberleutnant der Reserve

20/ - 25/4/18 und 6/ - 25/7/18 stellvertretender Führer AFP C

1/ - 25/8/18 Urlaub;

15/9/ - 12/10/18 Lehrgang Asch kommandiert

23/10/18 Lazarett

1/11/18 zum Führer Schlachtstaffel 31b ernannt;
    Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting story Kondor, I think Herr Oertel was a Handsome Pilot and the fact that his medal group is still together is amazing! He obviously saw much combat judging from the EKI and other medals He won!
      Thanks for sharing this with us!
      Kevin

Comment

Thanks for sharing this story

Andy

Comment

Happy to share as I had no luck with the official archives. He was shot down once that his daughter is aware of as a pilot, sustaining a stomach wound. I am also amazed that the medals stayed together since the family came from Breslau in front of the Russian advance in 45. Needless to say, they did not want to go back there after the war was over. I need to get over and get photo's of the backs of the badges. That War service from Reuss is just amazing in the way it is constructed and has been on my "wish list" since seeing this one!

A picture of him with his crashed two seater. He brought it home, but couldn't control it to land properly.
          Attached Files

Comment

very very nice! if you are able to find out the Breslau adress,i can check if the house is still here ,as i live in Breslau.

Comment

Thanks Besslein, I have ext3ended the offer to the grandson, so that when he talks to mom next, he can ask.

Comment

I think we've seen these medals before?A really incredible, and scarce group of medals, thanks for showing them.

Comment

Update!!!!

I personally was not aboe to get over to do the photo work myself lucky for all of us!), however my friend did take pictures (as payment for the research on his "Opa") He never told me he had the case to the Verdienstkreuz. As I know that there are a lot of "Case Lovers" out there, I'll be posting this also up in the Imperial section. One doesn't see the medal all that often let alone the case
                  Attached Files

Comment

For the Case Lovers
                    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful group!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X