Ensign Robert H. Lindsay, 4th Ky Inf, CSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ensign Robert H. Lindsay, 4th Ky Inf, CSA

I don’t think we have an entry here so far for an American Civil War soldier, so here’s some research on a specific one.

Robert H. Lindsay was the color-bearer of the 4th Kentucky Infantry, CSA. He joined the Kentucky Confederate units that were forming in Tennessee in September 1861. He enlisted in Company D, 4th Kentucky Infantry, which became a part of the famed Kentucky “Orphan Brigade.”

Bob Lindsay’s first battle was at Shiloh, TN on April 6-7, 1862. During that battle the original color-bearer of the 4th Kentucky fell, and Lindsay took the flag. He remained the regimental color-bearer, and carried the flag in all the rest of his battles. As you may know, the color-bearer was a very important position in a Civil War unit, being a key element in preserving the all-important alignment of the regiment as it marched forward in line of battle. In the smoke and confusion of battle, the color-bearer often played a key role in providing a rallying point for the unit. The regimental flags, or colors, were an easy target, and the mortality rate for color-bearers was high.

Lindsay was twice cited for gallantry in battle. In October 1862 the Confederate Government authorized “medals of honor” to be awarded for bravery. The actual medals were never produced, but the Confederate Adjutant Generals Office published a General Order providing for a “Roll of Honor” to be produced with the names of “one private or non-commissioned officer of each company after every signal victory it shall have assisted to achieve,” and to be read before the regiment at dress parade. The awardees were chosen by vote of the other soldiers of the company. The Army of Tennessee, to which the 4th Kentucky Infantry was assigned, selected the battles of Murfreesboro, TN (December 31, 1862 – January 2, 1863) and Chickamauga, GA (September 19-20, 1863) as battles for which the Roll of Honor should be produced. Robert Lindsay was named to the Roll of Honor for both of these battles; one of only seven such double awardees in the entire Army of Tennessee. He had been wounded at the Battle of Murfreesboro on January 2, 1863, and was mentioned by his colonel (Robert H. Trabue) in his official report of the battle: “The color-bearer (Robert Lindsay), being wounded, refused to allow anyone to accompany him to the rear, although bleeding at the mouth and nose.” (Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Vol. 20 page 828)
    sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
    www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

In April 1864 Lindsay was promoted to the position of Ensign. Ensign was an older US Army position for the color-bearer, which had recently been revived by the Confederate Army, with the rank of First Lieutenant. Ensign Lindsay continued to carry the flag through the bloody battles of the Atlanta Campaign, until on August 31, 1864 he received a mortal wound during the attack at Jonesboro, GA. He was taken to the brigade field hospital, and died during the night. He was 22 years old.

The Confederate dead at Jonesboro were buried on the battlefield. In 1872 the soldiers were exhumed and reburied in the Pat Cleburne Cemetery in downtown Jonesboro. In 1992 members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the 4th Kentucky Infantry living history group placed a memorial marker for Ensign Lindsay in the Pat Cleburne Cemetery.
    Attached Files

Comment

The only known artifact of Robert Lindsay is this letter, which he wrote in December 1863. His unit was encamped near Dalton, GA and he was writing to a former fellow soldier, Augustine Roberts, who had been invalided out of the army after being badly wounded, and was at home in Kentucky. Even though Kentucky was occupied by Union forces and the Kentucky Confederate “Orphans” were far from home, they still had several means to communicate with friends and family. Lindsay’s letter followed the “official” method – it was transported under flag of truce through the exchange location at Old Point Comfort, VA, and thence through the postal system to Kentucky. The letter’s uniqueness lies not in its details of soldier life or battles, but in the fact that it is one of the very few known letters written by an enlisted man of the Orphan Brigade. It was saved by “Friend Gus” Roberts, and passed down to his grandson.

Transcription of the letter, with punctuation and spelling as Robert Lindsay wrote it:
      Camp neare Dalton, Ga.
      Dec 17th 1863.
      Friend Gus. I received your letter a fiew days ago, I was glade to here that you was well. the letter you wrote to Bower I received it and sent it to him he is withe Grif Theobald at Enterprise Miss he is doing well and in good health, I seene Buck Steele a fiew days ago he spoke of writing to you in fiew days, in Regarde to Willis, he was not berried by our troops he lost his watch a fiew month be fore his death his trunk is at a Mr. Mays, Manchester Tenn. it had not beene broke open at the time we left it. I did not get to se Jo after he died Buck went and seene to berrying him, the boys are all well. Gus you must write and tell me what Lewis Gatewood is doing & what you are doing & who is married & evrything you think I would like to know. Chip Conder & Joh. Herndon & Sam Herndon & the boys from Owenton are awll well Gus I am gone to write to mother and severl others if you get yours and they dos not, try and tell them the news William Lindsay & the boys of the companny send there best Resects to you they say they would like to se you mightty well write as soone as you Receive this from your friend
      Robt. H. Lindsay

Willis was Gus Roberts’ uncle, who had been killed at Murfreesboro. William Lindsay was Bob’s older brother, a soldier in the 2nd Kentucky Infantry, and the only one of the three Lindsay brothers who survived the war.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lindsay’s Compiled Service Record in the National Archives (Record Group 109) has his regimental commander’s application for him to be appointed to the rank of Ensign. The back of the application has higher commanders’ endorsements, including Brig. Genl. Joseph H. Lewis, commander of the Orphan Brigade; Maj. Genl. Wm. B. Bate, the division commander; Lieut. Genl. W. J. Hardee, the corps commander; and a staff officer signing for Genl. Joseph E. Johnston, commander of the Army of Tennessee. When it arrived at the War Department it was approved by the Assistant Secretary of War (John A. Campbell).

The NARA service record copies can be really hard to read, so here is a transcription of the application:
        Head Qtrs 4th Ky Rgt Vol Infantry
        Dalton GA March 31st 1864
        Sir

In obedience to an act passed by Congress approved Feby 17th 1864 creating the office of Ensign in the Army of the Confederate States.
        I would respectfully recommend Sergeant Robert Lindsay Company “D” 4th Ky Rgt Vol Infantry for the office of “Ensign” of this regiment. He has borne the colors of this regiment through several battles with distinguished gallantry and was complimented for gallantry in respect of the battles of Murfreesboro & Chickamauga.

I have the honor Genl to be
        Very Respectfully Your Obt Svt
        T. W. Thompson
        Lt Col Comdg 4th Ky Rgt Vol Inf
        To
        Genl S. Cooper
        Adj’t & Inspector General
        Richmond Va
        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X