David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medal of Honor Recipient Charles Murray was 89 years old. His death leaves 84 living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal of Honor Recipient Charles Murray was 89 years old. His death leaves 84 living

Brent also sent me this......unfortunately.

"August 12, 2011
    And then there were 84

Brian Williams writes

My friend Charles Murray has died. When I needed him to come help us raise money for poverty at the Robin Hood dinner in New York a few months back, he showed up. When his country needed him to fight in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, he showed up. For his actions against the Nazis, he was awarded the Medal of Honor. He was a warm, modest and wonderful man, and my thoughts and prayers go out to his terrific family. This is what I’ve written about him for our broadcast tonight (see below) and this is his story from our Foundation’s book, Medal of Honor. We have lost a patriot and a wonderful man. His death leaves 84 living recipients of the Medal of Honor.

Charles Murray died today. He was a recipient of the Medal of Honor from World War II.
    It was just before Christmas in 1944, when after landing on Omaha Beach, as a young lieutenant pushing toward Germany, he single-handedly launched an attack on an enemy position. Using artillery, grenades and a rifle he stood his ground, on a hill, despite being visible to the enemy. He killed and scattered the entire enemy force, captured 10 of them. When a grenade was thrown at him he took eight pieces of shrapnel.
    The entire 3rd Infantry was present when he was given the Medal of Honor. He went on to serve four more years in Europe, then Korea and Vietnam. Three wars, three Silver Stars, two bronze stars, a purple heart and the Medal of Honor.

Charles Murray was 89 years old. His death leaves 84 living recipients."

Brent's own words says it best.

"Warmest Regards and Godspeed,

Brent Casey"

From me too,
    Ron

CMOH Charles Murray

Greetings Ron!

I had the pleasure of meeting Charles Murray a few years back. He lived in Wilmington, North Carolina. A real honor. The only other recipient of the CMOH that I have met is Gordon Roberts, a Vietnam vet who is still on active duty.

Best regards,
    Bill

Comment

Cmh

I found this at an old estate sale here in North Carolina several years ago. A neat old piece for this great American hero. Alex
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X