X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul J. Wiedorfer, CMOH, WW 2, Battle of the Bulge, 80th ID

Brent sent me this yesterday.....sorry I am a bit slow (hurt my leg):

"Medal of Honor Recipient Paul J. Wiedorfer Dies in Baltimore, MD

MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C., May 25, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- World War II Medal of Honor recipient Paul Wiedorfer died today at the age of 90.
    He was awarded the Medal of Honor at the 137th General Hospital, Ellesmere, Shropshire, England by Brigadier General E. F. Koenig in May of 1945. Private Wiedorfer served as a rifleman, with Company G, 318th Infantry, 80th infantry division. He was presented the Medal of Honor for his daring 150 yard charge across an open snow covered field during the Battle of the Bulge, Christmas Day 1944.
    After leaving the Army, he worked for Baltimore Gas and Electric and retired from there in 1981.
    He will be buried at Parkwood Cemetery, Baltimore, MD.
    The Congressional Medal of Honor Society was chartered by Congress in 1958 and consists exclusively of the living recipients of our nation's highest award for bravery in combat, the Medal of Honor. Those who wear this light blue ribbon and Medal around their neck are "recipients" of this prestigious award; they are not "winners." Although it is common to refer to the Medal as the Congressional Medal of Honor, it is simply named the Medal of Honor, although, as stated, the Congress did establish the Society as the Congressional Medal of Honor Society."

Ron

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X