Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of the Bulge grouping.

Hi all,

Just a newbie here but would like to share something with you guys.
    I collect everything that has to do with the battle of the bulge (and aftermath) and most particulairly the Schnee-Eifel region.
    Bought this small grouping of documents a few months ago. It belonged to a Stabsgefreiter of the 293th Grenadier regiment of the 18th Volksgrenadier division, Alfred Stünkel.

The 18th VGD was rebuild in September 1944 by members of the 18th Luftwaffe Felddivision, 571th Volksgrenadier division, Marine personel and other 2nd rank troops. After a short training and resting period it had to take part on the great German offensive in the Ardennes area. The region where the 18th VGD was assigned to was the "Schnee-Eifel" between Bleialf and Roth b. Prüm.
    The 294th and 295th Grenadier regiments were to attack uo north near Roth, Kobscheid, Auw etc. As the 293th Grenadier regiment where Alfred Stünkel belonged to was to attack from Brandscheid towards Bleialf.
    The division objective was to seize the town of Sankt Vith on December 19th, which they would not acceed until 21 December.

The 18th VGD advanced a breaktrough at the Schnee-Eifel, helped captured the town of Schönberg, with that taking the 422th and 423th US infantry regiments prisoner of the 106th US Infantry division, and finally fought in and around Sankt Vith for the resting days of the offensive.
    On February 5th 1945 the remnants of the 18th VGD were assigned to the 26th VGD and the retreat further into Germany began.

The documents I posess are his Soldbuch, Arbeitsbuch, KVK award doc, some letters, poëms, adress book, captivity papers and reliese papers. And his Erkennungsmarke, unfortunally his KVK was not present.
    Here are some of them to show.

Hope some here found it interesting.

Best regards,
    Nick

Great stuff! I love it when Soldbuchs come with extra documents.

By the way, you may get more of a response if you post this in the Soldbuch section of the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by bsmith56 View Post
      Great stuff! I love it when Soldbuchs come with extra documents.

By the way, you may get more of a response if you post this in the Soldbuch section of the forum!
      Thanks Brandon!
      Yes I didn't know were to put this so... perhaps a moderator could move this??

Comment

Nice grouping!!

Jeremy

Comment

Nice grouping!

PG-

Comment

love it Nice grouping

Comment

hi

Hi
              Nice grouping

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X