Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G. Papadopoulos, Intelligence Sgt., Greek Civil War

Hi all!

I would like to share a grouping belonging to my grandfather, Giorgos Papadopoulos, who served during the Greek Civil War and all the info I could gather about his service from related literature and by interviewing him. Here we go...

Regards, Giorgos

Born in 1924, he was to be enlisted in 1945, but since there were no structures and resources for the training of recruits, pre-war reservists were called to arms in the National Guard. In 1946 the first armed conflicts began and the continuous service (3rd call to arms) for these men was creating a major political problem. In 1947, the first recruits with no previous service were called to arms and among them, my grandfather, on March 30, 1947, in the Basic Training Center of Alexandroupoli, Evros.

These photos were taken during his basic training.

Note the British KD uniform, side cap, p37 webbing and MkII helmet (in its original configuration).

His basic training was rather fast, as he was transferred to 559 Infantry Battalion (stationed at that time in Pentalofos, Evros) of the 27th Brigade, VII Infantry Division, which belonged to the 3rd Army Corps. The 3rd Army Corps controlled the area of Central and Eastern Macedonia and Western Thrace, where the geography dictated a war based on small scale operations for both sides and sabotage techniques for the Democratic Army. This sector didn't see any major battles, but the way in which the war was conducted here, shaped really stressful conditions.

In Pentalofos, he spent some time in guard duties on the Greek-Bulgarian and Greek-Turkish borders. He remembers his chatting with a Turkish 2nd Lt., the surrendering of some Bulgarian soldiers defecting from Bulgaria and some skirmishes with Bulgarian outposts and partisans of the Democratic Army.
    Here is a photo of him (right) and LMG gunner Goulios.

On October 29, 1947 he was sent to Thessaloniki, to be trained as an NCO. He was sent there with some other men of his unit and they spent 5-6 days in civilian clothing, riding the trams, before reporting for duty! The training took place in the building of the local YMCA. During his stay there, members of the Communist Party planned an attack on the building, but they were betrayed by one of their own. He attended the Court Martial, where some of these men were sentenced to death and executed.

On December 1947, he returned to Pentalofos and on January 1, 1948, was promoted to Corporal. These are his stripes.

He spent his time on guard and patrol duties in Pentalofos and around the area of Soufli, where he remembers something characteristic of the type of war fought in the area: The Democratic Army was sabotaging and mining the road and railroad network, so much of the patrolling was done around there. One time, they searched an old woman, hiding a Tellermine in her lamb's fodder.
    Here is a photo of him (right) and a soldier called Sidiropoulos (left), on horseback, during a patrol.

He took part in reconaissance and battles near Siderokastron, Serres, where the Democratic Army, using the abandoned Metaxas' Line fortresses, was directing artillery fire against the railway network and attacked the nearby villages' National Guard and armed volunteers' detachments.

On September 14, he was promoted to Sergeant and on 30 he was documented a reservist, although he was not to be discharged till the end of the war. He spent this winter in Echinos, in the north of my hometown, Xanthi, on guard and patrol duties. One day, showing his... temperament, he was wearing red shoes and white socks in the outpost, testing the nerves of his officers, who actually later gave up all hope!
    Here are some photos of him around that time. Note the British sand colour beret, which was privately purchased and still is highly cherished by him and the divisional patch on his BD's left sleeve.

On December 6, 1948 he took a 6-day leave, but he returned... on January 10, 1949, as he preferred spending his time with my grandmother! The time passed again with the usual patrols, ambushes and minor skirmishes, till May 1948, when he took part in the battle of Metaxades.

The 559 Inf. Battalion want as a relief to the besieged Army, National Guard, Gendarmerie and volunteers' guard of the village. Being under fire by 2 field guns and 6 mortars, the CO (Col. Theodorakopoulos) decided to force entry in a nearby village, Vrysika, without reconnaisance, although other officers insisted on the opposite. The battalion was ambushed, nearly surrounded and captured and forced to retreat under heavy fire. With the CO MIA, my grandfather was ordered by the Brigadier to recon through the village of Ladi and then take defensive positions guarding the arriving friendly artillery.

After the end of the battle, since the partisans had fled, he was ordered to transport POWs and his 30 horses to Didymoteicho, by catching the train. On the way, one of his men stepped on a mine and died in his arms.
    This photo must have been taken around this time. The MG belts are taken by captured partisans.

On August 9, 1948 he was transferred to the Divisional HQ in Kavala, to be trained as Intelligence NCO and stayed there till September 1.

During this time, the war was coming to an end, with the Democratic Army losing its strongholds in Vitsi and Grammos. In the 3rd Corps' sector, the decisive blow was to be given in Beles, against the remaining forces using again the abandoned Metaxas' Line fortesses. After small scale battles, the partisans fled to Bulgaria and the operation was complete.
    These photos were taken just after. Note the US boots and caps. At that time, the US had completely taken over the supplying of the National Army from the British. Note also his long hair (for a soldier). When ordered by an officer to cut it, he answered "Why don't you come and cut it yourself?"

He was later transferred to Stavroupoli, again to the north of Xanthi, commanding the guard of 3 pillboxes. On September 26, he went on a 10 days leave, returning... on November 12, after he was documented as missing! After 36 months of service, he was discharged on December 6, 1949.

Here is his service booklet and the pages with the related entries:

And his discharge papers:

His conduct is noted as "flawless", something that proves what he said, that whatever he did, the officers did forgive him, as they trusted and liked him.

In these last photos, he is wearing this wartime made, US side cap:

group

Giorgos great grouping thanks for posting.

Certainly a very underdocumented area/theater in the forum at large so nice to see something so unique.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

Comment

Thank you for the wonderful presentation of your father's service to his country. Many are not aware that the war, in Greece, went on for years after WWII. The Communists were persistant and dangerous adversaries to the Greek government and those that fought for freedom are not as well remembered as they should be.

I am glad you have preserved his history and your family is fortunate to know of his activities and quality as a soldier, for his country.

Bbo Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
        Interesting mix of uniform pieces (UK and USA)

Comment

Thank you for your nice comments!

I see it as an obligation to know about my ancestors' past, to the extend that it is possible. I see it necessary to know who I am, from where I come. Plus, so many antique items in general change hands over time and although they might be appreciated as such, they are mute without a story. I wish that I will be able to pass these items further in the family, along with the story, in the years to come.

The Greek Civil War costed more lives than WW2 and was in every aspect a total war. One side's survival meant the extinction of the other, including the most primitive, physical way. The war was harsh and many times dirty from both sides, plus the public order was for many years after kept by a police state of alert, that lead to decades of abnormal public life. It deeply split the society and reconstructed it in a way that the differences are partially visible even today.

My grandfather experienced the meaning of total war and the deep split of society first hand in the microcosmos of his village, since his sister, her husband and my grandmother's brother were fighting on the side of the Democratic Army. The only thing he says now is "I wish that you never live such a thing"...

Regarding the militaria side, it's really interesting studying period photos, regarding the mix of equipment seen on those. The vast majority of the supplies were WW2 made. The US started supplying the National Army from 1947 onwards and the Greek Army started using its own made clones only in the '50s.

The appearence of the fighters of the Democratic Army is even more interesting, as it actually was a mix of pre-war Greek and WW2 British, German, Italian, US and civilian clothing and equipment.

Regards, Giorgos

Comment

Giorgos -

Poli orea!!

How lucky you are to have such a wonderful grouping from your family!

Yia Sou!!!

Molon Labe!

B. Kapsalis

Comment

Originally posted by bellumbill View Post
              Giorgos -

Poli orea!!

How lucky you are to have such a wonderful grouping from your family!

Yia Sou!!!

Molon Labe!

B. Kapsalis
              Yia sou kai sena!!!

Thanks, I feel really lucky, indeed!

Regards, Giorgos

Comment

Sixaritiria !!

Giorgo,
                Sixaritiria for the grouping you have. Poli diskolo na vris kati paromio xana.

Best Regards
                Tasos

Comment

Thanks for sharing your family history with us.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Great story .Thanks for sharing it...
                    ποτε ξανα πολεμος μεταξυ αδερφων στην Ελλαδα (μακαρι)

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Do you have a picture of his medals?

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by rexmundi View Post
                        Thank you for sharing. Do you have a picture of his medals?
                        He wasn't actually awarded any medals. There were no long service or commemorative awards for this war, so the only real possibilities for an enlisted man were the war medals (Medal for Outstanding Acts, War Cross and the Cross of Valour).

It was not usual at all for these to be awarded to enlisted men (privates and NCOs), except for really exceptional cases of heroism in the field of battle. It looks like medals were reserved mainly for officers. The number of officers was proportionately large for the size of the army and promotions didn't come fast. That's why officers were really eager to win medals, as they would be possibly accompanied by a promotion or would better their record.

So, keeping a strict control on the handing out of medals, plus not giving the respective chance to enlisted men to promotions and a possible carreer in the army post war, kept some balance on that field.

There has been an interesting analysis of the combat casualties during large scale operations and the WIA-KIA officers were proportionately more than the OR. An explanation for that was that they were ready to risk more and these numbers only dropped after some days passed and the casualties grew in numbers and were forced to somehow reconsider their choices.

On the other hand, EM, tired by the continuing war and the Occupation, were struggling for survival and were more prudent, specially when they might have been fighting even against their own family members.

Regards, Giorgos

Comment

Giorgos,
                          This is an absolutely outstanding thread. You are to be commended for committing your grandfather’s distinguished service to the record and for taking the time to share this knowledge with those of us on the "WAF". Thank you so much for shedding light on what is otherwise a little known conflict here in the United States.

For those in the U.S. seeking some more insights into the savage brutality of the Greek Civil War, I would highly recommend the book Eleni by Nicholas Gage. The book was also made into a critically acclaimed movie starring John Malkovich, Kate Nelligan, and Linda Hunt. Both works are readily available in the usual outlets.

Book One of the best selling series, The Brotherhood of War; The Lieutenants, by W.E.B. Griffin, presents a “grunt’s eye view” of the Greek Civil War and highlights the meld of U.S.-Anglo support provided to the Greek Government in an effort to put down the communist insurgency.

Also touching on the Greek Civil War as well as the poorly understood Italian-Greek Campaign of the early days of World War II is Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, by Louis de Bernieres. While some may be familiar with the movie that starred Nicholas Cage (the movie star, not the author cited above) and featured the untrimmed armpits of Penelope Cruz, the book, as usual, is much better, especially in presenting the true scale of human suffering endured by the Greek people during the period of 1939-1947.

Again, thank you so much for sharing this part of your family history.

All the best - TJ

Comment

Τhomas, thank you for your kind comments!

I actually felt compelled to do the work of interviewing him and cross-referencing his narations, so that (for the time being) his story won't be lost. Me and my family are very happy and lucky that his physical and mental health are in such a great condition.

My other grandfather, whose story I tried to share here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=405188 passed away when I was too young, so research work was much tougher, following the smallest link available.

Thanks for the heads up on the books, I will have to check them. The subject of the British and US aid is a really interesting one, since it was a critical factor for the governmental victory. It was an effort of tremendous dimensions, since all equipment from mess kits and webbing to tanks and airplanes was supported by this. New weapons like the Napalm were also tried for the first time in what was a new kind of war. It was also a political tool, which offered the stability that the Communist "Free Greek" state couldn't provide to the population it was in contact with. The aid actually shaped the post-war middle class to a great extend.

On the "public history" side now, regarding some Greek films on the subject of the Civil War, there have been some pretty good ones, from the side of the Democratic Army, shot in the 70s and 80s, like "The Descend of the 9" or "The Years of the Storm". Although they can be found on the web, there are no subtitles unfortunately...

There has been a pretty recent one, though, titled "Psichi vathia" (Deep Soul), showing the story of two brothers, fighting for the two opposite forces. It has accepted some strong criticism about the sentimental way of presenting the story and characters, bare of the social and political situation that led to the clash, but it has some well shot and pretty accurate combat scenes, plus there is a subtitled version available. Here is a sample:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoQ46xy3Ok

Regards, Giorgos

Comment

Great lot, Great History and GREAT Thread! Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X