Named Groupings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named Groupings

Here is a named grouping that I can vouch for as 100% authentic. Yes, this was my Dads Uniform.

SGT Francis C. Cassidy Jr. (Frank)
    SN 11050770
    U.S. Paratrooper Uniform
    Born 25 Feb 1916, entered service on 14 Feb 1942. Graduated Jump School on 5 Feb 1944. Assigned to 139th Airborne Engineers, 17th Airborne Division. Participated in Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe Campaigns. Also participated in operation Varsity and was the first American soldier in the German City of Essen. (See Unit the 139th History) Complete Uniform as issued to him includes, M42 Jump Jacket, Wings, Pants, Cap, undershirt, dog tags, camouflage parachute scarf . (Note the captured flag and other items that he brought back) To think that we used to wear this stuff around and play with it. However, I did save everything. I had his sterling issue wings pinned on me when I graduated Jump School in 1981. One of the coolest things that he had were JR Gaunt Brit made wings. He thought that they were junk! Now, look at what a real set brings! Note his Jump School Graduation Certificate on the wall.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cassidy; 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: Change title

Before the Paratroops

Here is my Dads uniform before he joined the Paratroops!

SGT Francis C. Cassidy Jr. (Frank)
    SN 11050770
    Artic Uniform

Born 25 Feb 1916, entered the service on 14 Feb 1942. 20 August 1942 to 20 Dec 1943 served with the 331st Engineers in Canada/Alaska working construction of runways and other construction associated with the Alaskan Highway effort. The arctic jacket, the fur cap, M43 goggles, the arctic Socks and mukluk boots were issued to him at the time. The Sheath knife was presented by one of his men and is made out of a broken bulldozer blade and Caribou antler. From Alaska he volunteered for Paratroops.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice thanks for showing us rite now i am trying to put one together for my grandfather and his twin brother who was kia on d-day. I wish i would of keep better track of things they got sent around to other family members after my paps death without me knowing of course. So i love what you put together show all the kids what a real Hero sported.

Comment

Leutnant Helmut Mohr

Originally posted by blitzkrieg gsd View Post
        Nice thanks for showing us rite now i am trying to put one together for my grandfather and his twin brother who was kia on d-day. I wish i would of keep better track of things they got sent around to other family members after my paps death without me knowing of course. So i love what you put together show all the kids what a real Hero sported.
        Thanks, Wow D-Day KIA. A friend just gave me his Dad's Uniform, 116th 29th ID, WIA D-Day. I will post photos later.

Here is the second uniform that I obtained directly from the original owner.

Leutnant Helmut Mohr
        Panzer Grenadier Battalion 115, PZ Gren. Division 15.

I obtained the complete German Panzer Officer uniform (cap to boots) from former Leutnant Mohr in 1997 when I was stationed in Germany. He was born, 10 August 1924 and entered service on 16 Feb, 1943. He was promoted to Leutnant on 1 August 1944. He served in Italy, near Monte Cassino, Salerno and then on the Western Front. He was severely wounded in the lung in the spring of 1945.
        Attached Files

Comment

A few more photos of LT Mohr

Two photos from before he was promoted to LT.

He told me that he lost some expensive privately purchased dress uniforms when the allies bombed Darmstadt. He said that the loss was not compensated for.

He had three brothers and remembered distinctly the invasion of Poland being announced on the radio. His dad yelled up the stairs. "Hitler the Arsch, just invaded Poland; you are all going to be soldiers!"

He had some fascinating stories about the fighting in Italy.
          Attached Files

Comment

Captain Theodore A. Wilson

Captain Theodore A. Wilson
            17th Airborne Division, 681 GFAB
            ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 20908763 (Enlisted)

Here is a copy of his Death Notice and a photo of the Jump Jacket worn by Captain Wilson. Same Division as my Dad, I wonder if they ever met?

He was born December 16, 1917. Grass Range Montana. Enlisted on 3 March 1941 in Yuba City California. Originally from Grass Range Montana. Deceased 6 March 2006, Commissioned as a U.S. Army Artillery Officer. His obituary notice states that he first served in the Pacific as an Anti-Submarine and Anti-Air Craft Gunner on a Merchant Marine Vessel. He was a Battle of the Bulge Veteran and served with the 17th Airborne Division. His name is listed in the 17th Airborne History. His photo is in the earlier produced 17ht Airborne photo album.

I need to get to NARA to do more research. There is evidently more info on him in NARA BOX NUMBER , 0366 , FILM REEL NUMBER 3.87#

P.S. Unfortunately, the 17th ABN is under-rated. Operation Varsity had a press black out. I suspect that Market Garden may have contributed to this? It was also eclipsed due to the Remagen Bridge head. The 17 needs a book and a movie.
            Attached Files

Comment

Erich Schmid 1 Geb Division

Ok, Now for a few photos of a good Mountain Troop friend of mine. I met Erich at the Stuttgart show back in 1996. My German Gun Club buddy introduced us because he knew that I collected MTN Troop stuff. I did two tours with the 10th MTN in Somalia. (Will my stuff ever be collectible Erich and I became great friends and I remain in contact with him.

Erich Schmid served with the 12th Company Geb Jaeger Regt 98, 1 Geb Div. He had photos and stories that were unbelievable. I obtained most of the items on the below center mannequin from Erich. I also received a couple of period photos from him. I treasure some of the small items such as the his captured Russian compass or the can of Nivea cream that he used to carry MG grease in. Other things like the GJR Edelweiss banner or original GJR rope are impossible to find in the U.S. The most important thing was the friendship that we developed.

The below photo is of Erich in April 1942
              Attached Files

Comment

Erich in Russia 1942, He wrote on the back of the photo

"1942 Russland Vor dem Angriff" "12Kp.Jg.98 Ercih Schmid"
                Attached Files

Comment

Erich in Russia 1942, He wrote on the back of the photo

"1942 Russland Vor dem Angriff" "12Kp.Jg.98 Erich Schmid"

Comment

amazing groupings! Really like your dad's jump jacket and getting pinned with his original wings is wonderful! I earned mine in Feb of this year and its the one thing that I really really wanted to do since I got into the Army. All the legs try to dog me out because I only have my 5 jumps right now but im heading back to Benning in about 40 days I will be there and hope I can jump my little heart out! Matt

Comment

Thanks,

Hang tough Airborne! When Dad went through Jump School it was six weeks! They packed their own chutes.

I went through jump school in 1981. Dad passed away on St. Pats Day the year before.

I made all 5 jumps with his pin back sterling wings in the top left pocket of my OD "Pickle Suit" uniform.

They jump your wings in for the ceremony, not sure if they still do this? Do they still call the Instructors "Black Hats"

When the SGT Airborne came by to pin my wings on, I asked him to pin my my Dads WW2 wings on me. He asked me if I wanted to go on the stage and have the Colonel pin the wings on. I said, "No SGT Airborne, my Dad was an NCO and I would like you to pin them on." I think that he even showed a little emotion.

Wow, it is hard to believe how time flies. I retire next year with 30 RA.

Good luck at Benning,

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
                      amazing groupings! Really like your dad's jump jacket and getting pinned with his original wings is wonderful! I earned mine in Feb of this year and its the one thing that I really really wanted to do since I got into the Army. All the legs try to dog me out because I only have my 5 jumps right now but im heading back to Benning in about 40 days I will be there and hope I can jump my little heart out! Matt

Comment

SSG Albert H Thomas D-Day WIA 29th ID 116th Inf Regt

Ok, Now for another U.S. Soldier with an interesting story.

A few weeks ago, my wife calls me at work and asks if I want a WW2 Uniform. She was with her German friend and noticed a uniform hanging in the garage. (My wife is also German).

She explains that it a short jacket, it is her father in-laws jacket. Her husband Harry was going to throw it out if no one wanted it.

Well, I figured that this was a typical size 36 Ike jacket with all the insignia removed.

Boy, was I wrong! The Jacket was just the way that he wore it home, except that the right collar disk was missing. I found it in the packet and put it back on.

Here is the uniform that belonged to SSG Albert H Thomas SN 33493387 D-Day WIA 29th ID 116th Infantry Regiment who passed away last year.

So, I asked if I could buy the jacket. They would not take any money. They also mentioned that they had some other stuff. I told them that any photos, dog tags or paper work would be great. Here is what I was given a few days later.
                        Attached Files

Comment

SSG Albert H Thomas D-Day WIA 29th ID 116th Inf Regt

It gets better. I was told that he was wounded on the beach on D-Day. I tried to research this via the internet and come up with nothing.

Then they found his discharge papers which clearly state that he was wounded twice.

Wounded once on 6 June 1944 and again on 17 November 1944.

Harry said that his Dad never talked about the war. He did know that he was wounded on D-Day.

I can only imagine what he experienced on 6 June 1944. I would still like to do some research.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thomas Brothers

It seems that all the brothers served and made it home.

You can clearly see the exact same uniform that I was given. It is always great to have a period photo of a uniform.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing, its really great to see the uniforms as they are
                              presented. One would think that they are in a museum with all the
                              attention to detail.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X