• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome thread!

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
      Awesome thread!
      Since I am catching up on responses tonight, I also saw yours.

Thank you. Paul Huff was an awesome man.

Ron

Comment

Sorry.....once again I was looking at this thread again, and remembering SGT Huff and the times I spent with him. The memories are pleasant even now, and, in a way, the times I spent with him (although actually few) seem like yesterday.

I also read again all the comments made about my posting in maybe a slightly different way. I came to the realization that all liked my post and more importantly that many of you learned a little about Paul Bert Huff, an ordinary man, who did very extraordinary things in an outstanding way.....above and beyond the call of duty.........and that you honor him for it......which is proper. In today's world we would be far better off as a people and a nation if there were more like him. Actually, I am certain there are many people like him still out there, who given the opportunity would step forward to lead us through the pitfalls of today's world and problems. I just wish we could find them, since, in my opinion, we certainly need them now!!!

Having re-read your comments, many of which sort of thank me for telling you what little bit of SGT Huff's life I could, it makes me feel good that I could tell you what I could and did about him. It means even more that he will be remembered forever by some, who might not have known about him otherwise (although I am sure that even without me most would have learned about him anyway).

Life has strange twists and turns to it sometimes, and things don't always turn out like we want or plan. Even though it has been some time now, my room is still not finished. As a famous writer many years ago said in his poem "To a Mouse"...."The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley".......which roughly means that the plans often don't work out. My plans haven't worked out. Workers have walked out on me, some of the work was poorly done and has had to be done over....again and again in some cases. Some over charged, and some even may have stolen things from me; however, they didn't get any of SGT Huff's things! Health problems of my wife, and me to some degree, have also not helped; however, I tend to be stubborn and I still have hopes to eventually complete my plans. I have also had some groups and people who have tried to get me to donate SGT Huff's things he gave me to them or various displays.....unsuccessfully. Of course now the law prohibits me from selling them, but then I never planned to do so at any point! Many years ago, I was offered $7,000 for the CMOH, which I promptly refused. Then a check was filled out to me, signed and placed in front of me with instructions for me to fill in the amount. What was my response? I handed it back and said "what part of no did you not understand". I promised SGT Huff, without his asking me that I would never part with his CMOH. Recently, one individual in trying to get it told me that he was gone now so I was released from that promise; my response was that even though he was gone....he never made me promise that so his death released nothing, and that I was still alive and my promise to him therefore still stood. I still plan on finishing the room and adding to the display on him; therefore it will never go to some display somewhere to only, maybe, go missing from it.

I have, with a new fellow helping, started work on a new room with much more secure features including about 10 to 12 inch or more walls with steel and concrete re-inforcement, no window and a steel door and frame set in concrete........plus other features. No pictures yet.......not until finished this time.

Thanks again,
        Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X