Special Forces hero Larry Dring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Forces hero Larry Dring

Anyone with an interest in Special Forces topics might want to have a look at a memorial website to Cpt.Larry Dring,5th.Special Forces Group.
    He's a legend in the Special Forces community.
    Cpt.Dring finally died of his many wounds in the early 80's.

vietnamveteransmemoral.homestead.com/DringLarry.html

De Oppresso Liber.

Very few people manage to become legends in thier own time but Larry Dring was one.
    De Oppresso Liber
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Hello,
      I had never heard of this name before, but after reading some parts of his life as an officer in the Special Forces in the provided link, my first thought was "what a shame to pass away so young when you gave this much to your country and have a loving family." His look on the pictures is tremendous. This mix of american, french, vietnamese garments is exactly my idea of the US Special Forces in the far east at the time. He must have inspired movie characters. Respect.

Comment

Larry was ............well one of the chosen brothers in arms that sits with crossed axes with his Viking brothers .
        owen

Comment

Truly humbling life story but now Larry is now at peace and enjoying a better life with God

Comment

I am very privileged to have in my collection an SKS that was a part of his estate.

Comment

Cleaning out his collection

I was a good friend of Bill Brooks of the French Foreign Legion fame who served in the 1970s. Bill went to work at Soldier of Fortune magazine when he returned to the USA. At the time of Larry Dring's death, he was living outside of Charleston, South Carolina in a large old home. Bill, through SOF, was in contact with Larry's widow to come and clean out his collection. Bill asked me to go with him and we drove to Larry's home. In the large attic of this large old home was what looked like a quartermaster's dump of all kinds of military clothing, equipment and souviners from Larry's service. Bill and I carried load after load of stuff out to Bill's car and hauled it away. I believe it went to Soldier of Fortune but I did get to keep an excellent WWII US paratrooper helmet with liner. On the leather sweatband strap attatched to the liner was Larry's name and serial number. He must have worn it at sometime in his career. I still have it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X