No announcement yet.

A tale from Stalingrad, 24 Panzer Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the very kind and encouraging comments Very glad this was well received, as a well received work, always boosts the motivation for the next project. I do however, need to work a bit on my grammar, the native speakers must have noticed that it's a bit rusty.

I have quite a many similiar research works done, but unpublished. Perhaps I'll publish an other one, before my next new project.
    Regarding my next project, Richard's wish is quite close. It will be about a German diary from a soldier (also) of Kampfgruppe Edelsheim, who was flown out of Stalingrad. So, I have much of the hard legwork done with Hoyer's, but still a lentghy project as I must switch my angle of view and process it in a different way.

Stay tuned for the "VOL II. A tale from Stalingrad, 24 Panzer Division".

Comment

Excellent post and my favourite unit!!! I saw this for sale but you had beat me to it.

Here is your man, he was missing at Stalingrad December 1942. Interestingly he is recorded as being with FP Nr. 15786 - 2. Kompanie, Kradschützen-Bataillon 4. Not 3 Schwadron as the Urkunde states.

Regards,
      Ian
      Attached Files
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
        Excellent post and my favourite unit!!! I saw this for sale but you had beat me to it.

Here is your man, he was missing at Stalingrad December 1942. Interestingly he is recorded as being with FP Nr. 15786 - 2. Kompanie, Kradschützen-Bataillon 4. Not 3 Schwadron as the Urkunde states.

Regards,
        Ian
        Thank you Ian!
        Thank you for the picture of the soldier, I will add it to my files! What's the book, or the source of that picture?
        Without knowing better, I would speculate either of them has a mistake or at the end of Stalingrad some unit's were integrated?

Best regards,
        Daniel

Comment

The photo was taken from the DRK Vermisstenbildliste Band AL, Seite 676

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Incidentally, the letter sending the EK I to his family is signed by the Adjutant of Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 4, Leutnant Ferdinand Maria von Senger und Etterlin DKiG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                Incidentally, the letter sending the EK I to his family is signed by the Adjutant of Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 4, Leutnant Ferdinand Maria von Senger und Etterlin DKiG.
                Thank you Ian for the time to look it up! This has been great help and is appreciated by me I've got a real project ahead with the Stalingrad diary, squad leader who has listed quite accurate details of all his squad members. Well, 7 persons to look up along the details of 4./Panzergrenadier Regiment 26 (24 PD).

Comment

Very well written!

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
                    Thank you Ian for the time to look it up!
                    I recogonised his signature.....in the 80's I was part of a Guard of Honour for him as Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe.

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
                    I've got a real project ahead with the Stalingrad diary, squad leader who has listed quite accurate details of all his squad members. Well, 7 persons to look up along the details of 4./Panzergrenadier Regiment 26 (24 PD).
                    If I can help I will.

/Ian

Comment

Originally posted by schönbeck View Post
                      Very well written!
                      Thank you Daniel

Ian, thank you for the offer, I'll certanly get in touch at some point. I'm quite sure I might get stuck on something e.g. details, order of battle or something else I can't find something of. The DRK Vermisstenbildliste "tip" was excellent!

Comment

Daniel, thank you so much for the tremendous work you performed to put Unteroffizier Hoyer's remaining documents in context of what he went through!
                        It was fascinating reading, and you have done much to help ensure that he will not be forgotten. It speaks very well of you that you are willing to put so
                        much effort into this project, and I can't wait to read your work on the diary of the Kampfgruppe Edelsheim soldier who was evacuated! I will look forward
                        to reading it!

Thank you again, for a job exceedingly well done!
                        Sincerely,
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by John A. View Post
                          Daniel, thank you so much for the tremendous work you performed to put Unteroffizier Hoyer's remaining documents in context of what he went through!
                          It was fascinating reading, and you have done much to help ensure that he will not be forgotten. It speaks very well of you that you are willing to put so
                          much effort into this project, and I can't wait to read your work on the diary of the Kampfgruppe Edelsheim soldier who was evacuated! I will look forward
                          to reading it!

Thank you again, for a job exceedingly well done!
                          Sincerely,
                          John
                          Thank you a lot for the very encouraging comment!
                          I'm working on the translation at a quite good pace. It's a small book, about the size of an A6 paper with a lot of pages. The translation should be at this pace done before mid September. However it's written almost completly with a pencil, so some of the pages are written a bit faded due to moisture at the time of writing. You can clearly see which days were "rest" inside the Bunkers and which days were written during combat days and outdoor conditions. The additional research and preparations for the presentations might take some weeks. Summa sumarum, it's likely that I'll get it done before October starts.

PS. Luckily we have ballpoint pens and cardboard markers in the army nowdays, hard to take notes or write orders in the rain with just a pencil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X