Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine NCO - Uboat survivor

Hi all,

ive recently purchased this dagger. It’s personalised on the blade and scabbard, it reads;

H Hauschild
    N 4151/40ES

After doing some research I've found he served on U-1063 which was sunk off Devon in April 1945. Out of the 45 crew only 17 survived and I believe Helmar Hauschild was one of them. I’ve attached a few items of research I’ve gathered. Is there anyway finding more information I.e date or birth/death? Picture? Would be really cool to find out what happened to him. Thanks everyone.

Very interesting. Have a look at Horst Bredow's U-Boat archive for possible details.

Comment

I’ll check that out thank you

Comment

From what I can see the dagger is a good one.

Russ.

Comment

Thanks Russ. Managed to get a few pictures (copies) of when U-1063 was launched. This guy is on there somewhere but doubt I’ll ever know which one. I’m putting a little grouping together of his stuff I’ll post a picture once completed

Comment

Hi,
            Hauschild, Helmar MaschMt.
            MaschMt

Crew member ; U81 - U 1063
            POW : 15.04.1945

Best regard
            Pierre

Comment

Hi Pierre,

thank you for the information. Was he on U-81 as well then? Anymore information would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Hi
                Yes, He was a crew member of U-81 (Known on U-81 database).

I don't know when he was transfered on U-1063..

I've found these infos about u-1063 :

"From 04 March 1945 to 09 March 1945, departure from Kiel, arrival in Horten.
                From 11 March 1945 to 16 April 1945, departure of Horten for the British coastal waters. En route to the English Channel U-1063 is diverted to an area between 200 and 300 nautical miles west of the English Channel. Early April it makes movement towards the East.On 16 April the U-1063 in dive, then equipped with the antenna 'Elektra-Sonne ' (the system is not yet reliable) mounted on the head of the 'Schnorchel ', is waiting to attack the convoy TBC 128 off Land’s End when it is spotted on radar by the frigate H.M.S. "Loch Killin" (Lt-Cdr S. DARLING) of the 17th E.G. The boat is sent from the bottom by attacks at depth charges, twenty-one are dropped (three attacks with 'Squid ' and its artillery according to another source). The U-Boat surfaced before sinking and STEPHAN gave the order to abandon. The frigate opened fire on the crew killing several men. Of the crew of U-1063, the commander and twenty-eight men were missing and seventeen others were taken prisoners of war, six of whom were wounded."

Best regards
                PIERRE

Comment

https://uboat.net/boats/listing.html
                  This site might help.

Russ.

Comment

Link does not seem to be working, anyway there's info on uboat.net

Russ.

Comment

Found out why he was transferred - U81 was dunk in harbour and he was a survivor. See picture below.

U 81 was destroyed on January 9, 1944 at 11:30 a.m. in Pola during an air raid by the 15th U.S. Air Force. The boat was hit by a 500 kg bomb in the aft torpedo hatch. The bomb hit from above, killin two guards and then stepping out through the electric machine room and the pressure hull. The boat capsized to port and sank to eight to ten meters.

Comment

Finally finished boxing up the dagger. Didn’t manage to find anymore information on the chap but we do know he served on U-81 & U-1063. If anyone else can shed anymore information on the man I would be very grateful. Note I’ve managed to get lots of photos relating to U-81 & U-1063 which I’ve put in the box.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A tasteful presentation!

Comment

Wow, nice dagger and I love that box!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X