Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research request for RAMC volunteer 1900s

Hi

I have a tunic to a RAMC Sgt Major from the pre-TF/TA era with what appears to be the name 'James Birrell'. There also appears to be a Black Watch connection (see label).

Could someone pse have a look and see if he appears anywhere. There are also a set of medal loops (broken) visible.
    Attached Files

Tunic has correct white metal buttons and insignia for volunteers. Extremely pleased with it, esp for price! WO/SNCO rarely seen esp for vols/militia.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Seigfried; 04-05-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Tunic
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice tunic! I have a soft spot for RAMC items as some of my relatives served with them in both wars. But I'm afraid I don't have any research material that could help with names this early on.

Could you please show a close up of the insignia on the right sleeve?

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by tubist73 View Post
          Very nice tunic! Could you please show a close up of the insignia on the right sleeve?
          It's a pleasure, I recall the beautiful way you photographed your uniforms in a historical setting.

Of note is the white metal bullion wire around the red cross (gold for Regulars).
          Attached Files

Comment

A scarce tunic to a Warrant Officer, individually tailored unlike the normal OR issue.

CB

Comment

Fortuitously Ancestry provided free access over Easter and I discovered the following:

333008 QMS James Birrell 339th Lowland Field Ambulance
              DoB: 1872
              Enlisted 01 April 1908 Discharged 02 March 1918 aged 46 (born 1872)
              Silver War Badge no. 246471

Always nice to put a named soldier to an item

Renumbering the TF Royal Army Medical Corps in 1917

Change to the numbering of TF RAMC troops was promulgated in Army Council Instruction 380 of 1917, published on 3 April 1917. As in the other arms, ACI 380 also dealt with changes in the arrangements for TF records, pay and other administrative matters. These arrangements were to take effect from 1 April 1917, but were later postponed until 1 June 1917. Although not explicitly stated in ACIs, it is likely these postponements also applied to renumbering.

Regulars (and therefore also men serving in the new armies) retained their existing numbers in the range 1 – 300000, but TF soldiers were allocated new numbers from 300001 upwards. The blocks of numbers allocated to 339th FA were 333001 to 337000, so QMS Birrell was near the front of the queue with 333008! His enlistment date is 1st Apr 1908 but I suspect earlier service as I think it unlikely that he would go from Pte to WO in 10 years (even in wartime), or be issued a fancy blue tunic during a major war. Interestingly, Hobson & Son's tailors still exist but I have not yet contacted them.

The fact that he was part of a Lowland Field Ambulance 'partly' explains the Black Watch (mentioned on clothing label) connection, I'll have to have a closer look at the writing on the label in front of 'Black Watch'.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X