Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renaissance Wax

Hello ,
    Can I use Renaissance wax on helmets ? I am specifically asking about the liners as I can't see a problem with the shells .
    Many thanks ,
    Regards .

Originally posted by daz339 View Post
    Hello ,
    Can I use Renaissance wax on helmets ? I am specifically asking about the liners as I can't see a problem with the shells .
    Many thanks ,
    Regards .
    Using anything to preserve helmets is considered taboo. It was a common practice back in the day, but you're going to get a lot of push back and negative comments if you go and treat your liners and helmet exteriors.

With that said, if you have a low value, relic level helmet with a ratty liner and you want to treat it, it's probably not a bad idea. Anything else though...leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bigschuss View Post
      Using anything to preserve helmets is considered taboo. It was a common practice back in the day, but you're going to get a lot of push back and negative comments if you go and treat your liners and helmet exteriors.

With that said, if you have a low value, relic level helmet with a ratty liner and you want to treat it, it's probably not a bad idea. Anything else though...leave it alone.
      Excellent advice.

Comment

Originally posted by bigschuss View Post

Agreed !
        https://germanhelmetvault.com/2017/0...e-and-destroy/

Comment

Thanks to all for your help .
          Regards.

Comment

Personally I can't see the issue with renaissance wax. If applied sparingly it's barely discernible, on either metal or leather.

Many years ago, before the advent of on-line forums such as this, I wrote to the curator of the Wallace Collection, London, seeking advice on preserving helmets, etc.

Many of you are probably aware that the Wallace Collection houses an outstanding collection of mediaeval arms and armour; and the advice that I received from their curator was that they used Renaissance wax on their collection.

In fact it even says on the tin that it is used by the British Museum.

If such highly reputed collections recommend its use, can it really be something to avoid ?

Comment

Originally posted by RJKG View Post
              Personally I can't see the issue with renaissance wax. If applied sparingly it's barely discernible, on either metal or leather.

Many years ago, before the advent of on-line forums such as this, I wrote to the curator of the Wallace Collection, London, seeking advice on preserving helmets, etc.

Many of you are probably aware that the Wallace Collection houses an outstanding collection of mediaeval arms and armour; and the advice that I received from their curator was that they used Renaissance wax on their collection.

If such highly reputed collections recommend its use, can it really be something to avoid ?
              I have used it on a 19th century Royal Naval dirk , including the leather scabbard
              , and all seems well but thought I would ask .
              Regards .

Comment

I agree with that. J

Comment

I think a question that always should be asked first is , what is the condition and is it necessary ?

Look at leather liners treated in the 60's or 70's , are they better of than the leather we see today coming out of the woodwork untreated or sitting in collections for +30 years untreated ?
                  The answer is no. Despite everyone believing from the 60's to the 80's that shells and liners were better protected when treated the sad fact is that it did not help.

I hope the curators of the museum have experts and know what they are doing and of course there is a difference between medieval stuff and German helmets.
                  For German helmets , leather and steel. (above ground found) I would not recommend it. Dug helmets are a different ball game altogether.

But even then each piece should be judged first before anything is considered.

Comment

I would recommend Pecard leather dressing on leather. If you use a small amount and let it soak in for a few days then buff the surface you will get good results. I would only use this as a last resort to restore cracked or perished leather. I have also used Renaissance wax on polished brass shell casing and if applied correctly then polished it creates a wax seal and stops the air from causing tarnishing to the metal. Used by museums to preserve the shine on display items. Both very good products.

Comment

Duck grease is what I use to devalue my helmet liners but they will last an extra 300 years. Fine on metal not on German helmet liners. Rob
                      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Leave the piece as is

Comment

Originally posted by daz339 View Post
                          Hello ,
                          Many thanks ,
                          Regards .
                          Believe it or not, Renaissance is a little abrasive on paint surfaces; I don't use it. Also, it's hard to work into leather; there's better stuff out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddietheboy View Post
                            I would recommend Pecard leather dressing on leather. If you use a small amount and let it soak in for a few days then buff the surface you will get good results. I would only use this as a last resort to restore cracked or perished leather. I have also used Renaissance wax on polished brass shell casing and if applied correctly then polished it creates a wax seal and stops the air from causing tarnishing to the metal. Used by museums to preserve the shine on display items. Both very good products.
                            Pecard is crap and the worst thing you can use. It will make the old leather (might be OK for new saddles etc) look great for a few years then it may rot. I had horrible experiences with it in the 80s. It doesn't restore it just softens until it falls apart. You can't bring old leather back to life, it's a fairy tale. If you have to use something the Renaissance wax is better but my favorite product for helmets and liners is NOTHING.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X