Removing ink from Wool - advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing ink from Wool - advice needed.

Hi, I have a wool tunic with a "HI" inked on that I think is post-war and certainly unwanted!

Have had some advice to possibly use Lacquer thinner, and after a search here on the WAF also perhaps 'Denatured Alcohol'.

Has anyone tried either of these with success, or has any other advice?

Regards, Paul
    Attached Files

No guarantees, but when I was a stock boy in the 80's we got ink on our clothes all the time. We would grab can arisol hairspray or Lysol. Spray it on paper towel then push it on the ink spot. You can tell if it is working by seeing the ink lift into the paper towel. Used to work very well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank-you Seledotis!

Comment

Just an update on this. I used white spirit, then surgical spirit (for good measure), and then rinsed the area through with water to remove any residues (applied using paper towels and dabbing only, not rubbing which might have spread the ink). I then left it for several hours to dry thoroughly before putting the tunic back into it's storage bag.

I would say that it is still there, but is now barely noticeable which I'm happy with.

Some pictures showing the tunic 'before and after' with a closer picture.

(The post-war replacement front closure buttons have also been replaced with better matching buttons for better display.)

Regards, Paul
        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X