Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renaissance Wax or Vaseline?

Good Evening Gent's

I know there are plenty of threads on the forum that address conservation. However, my question to the forum is what is your preferred method of conversation for zinc badges, Renaissance Wax or Vaseline (aka petroleum jelly)?

Thanks, and I look forward to your reply's!

Sean

Originally posted by Wolfhounds View Post
    Good Evening Gent's

I know there are plenty of threads on the forum that address conservation. However, my question to the forum is what is your preferred method of conversation for zinc badges, Renaissance Wax or Vaseline (aka petroleum jelly)?

Thanks, and I look forward to your reply's!

Sean
    Sean,
    Thanks for bringing this up, I'm confused on this subject also.

Comment

Vaseline is napalm. It should never touch a human or an antique of any kind for any reason. Do not rub jellied gasoline on yourself or anything of any value. Renaissance wax is pure carnuba wax wich will seal out oxygen, has no negative archival consequence.

Comment

If you have a zinc badge suffering from zinc pest, wipe it down with Vaseline and a cotton swab. Leave it for 24 hours and then wipe off all that you can. If you wish, you can then treat it with Renaissance wax.
        Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by rbminis View Post
          If you have a zinc badge suffering from zinc pest, wipe it down with Vaseline and a cotton swab. Leave it for 24 hours and then wipe off all that you can. If you wish, you can then treat it with Renaissance wax.
          Ralph.
          Thanks Ralph!

Comment

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
            Vaseline is napalm. It should never touch a human or an antique of any kind for any reason. Do not rub jellied gasoline on yourself or anything of any value. Renaissance wax is pure carnuba wax wich will seal out oxygen, has no negative archival consequence.
            SB,

This is the first time I have ever that type of opinion regarding Vaseline? Does anyone else feel this way? I have read through many of the conservation threads, and I have never heard of Vaseline being referred to as napalm?

I honestly don't have any badges that are terrible, just some minor zinc pest. In terms of pure conservation, I would just like a general consensus of the best preservation technique not only to stop the spread of the pest, but also to keep the finish of the badges in top condition.

Best regards,

Sean

Comment

I know vaseline is not archival but I'm pretty sure it's not flammable, so it's not quite the same as napalm.
              Also, Renwax is not pure carnuba wax--it contains a mix of micro-crystalline waxes in white spirit with less than 0.1% benzene. White spirit is naphtha/petroleum which comprises 80% of Renwax.
              Erich
              Last edited by Erich B.; 03-19-2018, 06:25 PM.
              Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                I know vaseline is not archival but I'm pretty sure it's not flammable, so it's not quite the same as napalm.
                Erich
                Yeah...that's kinda what I was thinking too. I mean it states right on the front label "skin protectant" and "dermatologist recommended". I don't think this would be approved by the government for use on human skin if it was "napalm", lol!

Comment

Originally posted by rbminis View Post
                  Ralph.
                  This is the same kind of really bad advice from people with no knowledge of conservation that told people to repair German award documents with Scotch tape. 20 years later the acid in the tape has eaten the documents and they are ruined.

Vaseline is literally jellied gasoline. Napalm is jellied gasoline. Vaseline is therefore a form of napalm. Putting gasoline on any antique is a really, really, really bad idea. But go ahead and ruin your badges with gasoline, don't listen to a trained conservator, and when yours are destroyed by the gasoline residue which continues to eat the metal as tape eats paper, mine will be worth more.

Comment

Where can one find Renaissance Wax for purchase? I’ve not heard of it before.

Comment

Originally posted by DouglasDwight View Post
                      Go to the web sites of dagger dealers,Tom Wittmann and Tom Johnson.Carried in stock by both right here in US of A. Seiler

Comment

Look for it on Amazon or e-bay. It's a lot cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by DouglasDwight View Post
                          Google it, it can be found in a lot of places.
                          Ralph.

Comment

this is my thinking.. IF your piece is in great shape a quick wipe off and then Ren wax it....
                            IF it has zinc pest and you really don't want to use Vaseline then a little mineral oil on a swab,,,rub in gently trying to get the zinc corrosion debris off it. Wipe it clean,,let it sit somewhere warm for a day.. One more good wipe and then Ren wax it..

Lets see what other methods collectors use...

Comment

Should I give all of my zinc badges a treatment whether they appear to need it or not?

I have a few zincers but they don't show signs of pest yet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X