How to Maintain an SS Dagger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Maintain an SS Dagger?

Hey guys, I just bought my first SS dagger and I'd like a few tips on how to preserve it. i.e. What kind of wax/oil to use and what kind of cloths to wipe the blade.

renaissance wax and microfiber towels seem to do it for me with heer/luft daggers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

-Brian

Comment

Use light oil...do not wipe against the grain...and then put it away....use no abrasives whatsoever....some like to put a little Vaseline lightly on the blade ...I prefer to use coconut oil wiping off the excess, coconut oil,works especially well on scabbards, blades and all...like ...anodized or painted...or even blued....wipe gently always with the grain on blades, and leave runner marks alone. Coconut oil works great on nickeled fittings too.... Coconut oil is also good for your skin, heart and to cook with...one of the best and healthy oils out there that will combat the effects of varacose veins heart trouble diabetes and more....the book the miracles of coconut oil is worth the read....cheers.

Comment

Coconut oil is great for your health but oil on a blade attracts moisture if there is any humidity at all.

Comment

Swamp coolers don't help either....but you,wouldn't coat it heavy....just a little then wipe dry...you may have something there...but so far for me I haven't noticed that yet. Air conditioning in houses helps keep the air dry also....in Arizona or Florida where swamp coolers are used during the early summer....it doesn't help to keep guns from rusting too....duly noted and I'll have to research that comment furthers....thanks for mentioning it.

Comment

I agree with Brobbs.

Renaissance wax is the best product. It is used by the Royal Armouries in the UK to coat and preserve their arms and armour.

It is available on line and easy to use, follow the instructions, evenly coat the surface, allow to dry, then use a soft brush and cloth to remove excess and bring up the finish.

I would recommend you try applying to lesser value item before you use on your expensive dagger.

It preserves all metal work and I use on swords, daggers, helmets, metal badges, equipment fittings and medals.

Been using it your years with no complaints, my SS chained dagger looks great.

Keith

Comment

i never put anything on daggers,i wipe with a dry clean cloth.i use a pair of thin white cotton gloves when handling my daggers.............dave

Comment

I also don't use anything on daggers, and I keep them stored out of the scabbard.

Comment

Autosol metal polish made in Solingen Germany,been using it for 25yrs with great results..."there is no substitute"

Comment

Bob as soon as you used the word polish I cringed....and threw up a little in my mouth I think.

Comment

Originally posted by popskipa View Post
                      I agree with Brobbs.

Renaissance wax is the best product. It is used by the Royal Armouries in the UK to coat and preserve their arms and armour.

It is available on line and easy to use, follow the instructions, evenly coat the surface, allow to dry, then use a soft brush and cloth to remove excess and bring up the finish.

I would recommend you try applying to lesser value item before you use on your expensive dagger.

It preserves all metal work and I use on swords, daggers, helmets, metal badges, equipment fittings and medals.

Been using it your years with no complaints, my SS chained dagger looks great.

Keith
                      +1

Regards,
                      Stu

Comment

How conservatively should I use the Renaissance Wax?

Comment

Very light coats then buff off. Just like you'd do to car paint.

-Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X