Wood Preservation on Tent Stakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Preservation on Tent Stakes

Would like to restore this pressed wood tent stakes to preserve the wood and bring back the finish. Bought them from Russia, allegedly lay in bunker. Wood is still solid, but can see in photo, some have little finish still present than others. Would they treat like rifle stock with some kind of oil or in some other way? Thanks!

Apparently these were actually coated in some kind of resin treatment. Any ideas, how to restore that?

Comment

Servus Klaus,

The material you are dealing with is called "Bakelite." Here's a good tutorial on restoring Bakelite to it's original luster:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rest...iginal-Finish/

Good luck,

Patrick

Comment

But they are not actually made of bakelite, they are pressed wood. This model of tent pegs were coated in phenolic resin (I think?), but most of this finish is not intact and bare dry wood is visible. From additional research, this seem to be kind of varnish, that is of same chemical properties as bakelite. Probably need to be revarnished.

Regards
        Klaus

Comment

Try and find others that are original of the same type, then stain and treat them to match as close as possible. Study up on finishes of the period, and use as close to what you research...and can find. I have books that describe formula's of paints and varnishes...but I wouldn't think they would have used anything too extravagant in the day..likely just a good varnish , or maybe something common like linseed oil. Also keep in mind durable paints of ww2 commonly contained lead...and handling old things with the old lead base paints can hurt ones health if collectors don't remember to wear protective gloves when handling such things.
          I once knew a collector who collected iron toys, and later in life it forced him to get rid of everything for what health problems the high lead levels did to his body, so use a modern substitute when possible, like how they formulate jeep paints to be lead free for restoring MB's, and GPW's.(Just some food for thought) I would imagine the cores of some iron crosses may be painted with lead base paints too.
          Last edited by juoneen; 05-27-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X