Leather preservation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather preservation.

I have a ww1 German gas mask. The leather still supple and somewhat oily with the original oil it was impregnated with(correct?). I have it displayed on a glass mannequin head, so as to avoid it being exposed to PVC out gassing that would be found on a plastic or styrofoam head. That said, I fear that it will just continue to dry out, and am wondering if there is a proper way to preserve its condition?

Originally posted by freight View Post
    I have it displayed on a glass mannequin head, so as to avoid it being exposed to PVC out gassing that would be found on a plastic or styrofoam head.
    Interesting...

I have my caps on styrofoam heads....its dangerous?

//Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
      Interesting...

I have my caps on styrofoam heads....its dangerous?

//Daniel.
      I work in an industry that uses a lot of plastics and other pvc materials. Nearly everything out gasses. Glass, doesn't. I couldn't tell you the science behind it...just things I've picked up over the years.

As for how damaging it may be...no clue. I would imagine that it's not something you'd see the effects from in this lifetime, but better safe than sorry. I could also see it being far more damaging to something like leather, than fabrics that are dry to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by freight View Post
        I have a ww1 German gas mask. The leather still supple and somewhat oily with the original oil it was impregnated with(correct?). I have it displayed on a glass mannequin head, so as to avoid it being exposed to PVC out gassing that would be found on a plastic or styrofoam head. That said, I fear that it will just continue to dry out, and am wondering if there is a proper way to preserve its condition?
        Use the search engine on this site and you will find threads dedicated to leather preservation....Unfortunately you will find many that say you should put something on it and many that say leave well enough alone.....So, in the end it will be your decision.....I'm of the belief that less is better......After all, your mask has survived 100 years and has not fallen apart....And all with very little to no maintenance....Good Luck, Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X