Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felt Backing for Display

Hello,

I have a few medals in Riker display cases, however I'd like to but something over the white backing included with the cases that the medals rest on. I was thinking of using colored felt, but I'm concerned it may not be a safe material. I have some felt made by Eco-Fi, which as far as I can tell, is made from recycled plastics.

I would imagine this isn't a safe material, so are there any safe options available?

Thanks!

I go to a fabric store and purchase real wool.
    Ralph.

Comment

Hello,

I used Swedish wool from Swedish WWII Tunics Looks good and is cheap. Better yet get a small sized Swedish overcoat or trousers. There are more longer wool sections.

Fred
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys. It seems like wool is the way to go than. Can the dye that is used to color the wool cause damage? Or am I worrying too much?

Comment

Yes. Wool felt can bleed when wet.

Comment

Hello,

Generally wool used from Swedish tunics will not bleed or overall fade.

Fred

Comment

Ok, I don't plan on hosing down my medals anytime soon, so wool it is.

Fred, that display looks great!

Thanks Everyone!

Daniel

Comment

I have had my crosses displayed on plain, old craft store red felt for
                over 20 years with no ill effects.

Comment

Great idea to use wool as background. Looks so much better than the standard white background

Comment

Hello,

I used a field grey wool for WWII German displays, Dark Blue for Pre WWI and WWI red Dress German uniform boards, and Grey wool for Luftwaffe. I try and get a wool backing that matched the original uniform color to display my insignia on. Pleated pockets are also a nice thing to use to display awards.

Fred

Comment

Here are the ones I made for my insignia pieces, but it would work for medals as well I suppose!

I still have more "period' style fabric left if you need some

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=754283

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X