Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preserving aluminium cloth insignia

Hi all,

I'm in need of some rather desperate help. I picked up a grouping of SS insignia and sadly the sleeve eagle has become victim to the aluminium oxidising and I really want to stop this.
    Now the insignia was all stored in a zip lock back as well as the affected sleeve eagle there was also a aluminium cuff title that thankfully isn't affected.
    So what I'd really like to know is how can I stop the sleeve eagle getting any worse, as it's pretty awful as it is and how can I prevent any of the others from going that way as well. I currently have all items wrapped in tissue to hopefully stop them sweating. Would this have been caused by sweating?

Just one last random question, how quickly does it take for this oxidisation process to take hold as by looking at it I'm guessing this has been attacking this for sometime, as guessing this dosnt happen within a week or so.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

All the best.

Post some pix and lets see what's going on. First of all that zip bag caused the retention of moisture and got the insignia growing the oxidation. I would try gentle brushing with a small sable brush or stiffer brush, if necessary, to get that stuff off.
    Display them in proper humidity and airflow....I do realize you guys in the UK deal with the moisture factor more than in USA maybe. I would never leave anything in a plastic bag for long. Wait for other opinions, I told you what "I" would do.

Robt.

Comment

Nearly all forms of corrosion, wether its rust,verdigris,oxidization,zinkpest etc come down to environmental.In particular "Moisture"

Get the stuff out of ziplock bags.Put it in a storage environment that allows airflow and above all aim for a 50% humidity zone.

Buy a hygrometer (humidity gauge) and a dehumidifer.Control the environment.
      Get it as close to 50% as practically possible.Below 30% and its too dry....above 65% and all of the nasties mentioned happen.

Im not sure what budget you have but there are other solutions if you cant afford a dehumidifier.There are dessicants(such as silica gel like you get in shoes) and the laundry style "Damp-rid"products for removing moisture.

1st thing i would buy is a hygrometer.So you know whats happening with the humidity and get your stuff out of those bags.(the plastic could be "Off -gassing" which can cause problems as well.

Comment

How about nitrogen environment? Moisture and oxygen are the reason for the problems, then wouldn't be the things best preserved in normal humidity nitrogen environment? The gas is harmless - it's over 70% of our atmosphere, also it's inert, available /many tire workshops offer pumping with nitrogen instead of ordinary air/. I think some kind of sealed display box, with a couple of valves would do the trick?
        The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X