Help! Soldbuch Repair Opinions Sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Soldbuch Repair Opinions Sought

I bought a very nice soldbuch from a very desirable unit. I did not know it when I bought it that is some large tears. There are about three rows of parallel clean lacerations that go through about 3/4 of the pages. The ID is almost unreadable and the pages will contunue to tear. The seller has generously accepted a return. I know if I try to mend it with Filmoplast P I cannot return it.

I also know that one should never repair tears. BUT the soldbuch is so nice!

Filmoplast P works very nice. On other experiments with this product the tears like this almost become invisible except for a light sheen.

This is my questions: Would you just return it or suck it up and just mend it knowing that it will never be worth much? Would you ever but an ID that was expertly repaired?

Please provide you recommendation. Thank you.

If I had a - for my collection - very important soldbuch like you state, I would repair it for conservation. The procedure is conservation in my opinion.

Good luck,

Hans Kristian

Comment

Are the lacerations part of the books history??Did these occur when the original owner had it???

I would photograph every page, so if you wish to study it, you can without handling the original and then stabilise the book by putting it in a shallow acid free box.

Imagine if you repair it and ruin it.Also try selling it and telling the next potential buyer you have done this.

Comment

The tears have been there for awhile. I don't think it is a good idea to repair it. Thank you for your help.
        Last edited by brooksbz; 01-23-2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keifer kahn View Post
          I would photograph every page, so if you wish to study it, you can without handling the original and then stabilise the book by putting it in a shallow acid free box.

Imagine if you repair it and ruin it.Also try selling it and telling the next potential buyer you have done this.
          I agree and would do the same.

Regards,
          Marcel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X