AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience of 'cold 'blacking' in UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience of 'cold 'blacking' in UK?

ie Re-blacking/parkerising bayonets, weapons, what kit did you use, did it work etc?

Cheers

from my experiece it's by far not as good as the real deal. You can buy many different ones on ebay. Many sell small bottles and they recommend to brush it on, well to get a good result you must soak it. Then seal the surface. Oh yes, before you apply you must clean and degrease.

Comment

Cold bluing (blackening) always leaves a smell, and is basicly just a waste of time .

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
        Cold bluing (blackening) always leaves a smell, and is basicly just a waste of time .
        I agree. I have tried it several times and no good.

I used potassium or sodium nitrate (300g) + caustic soda (1kg) in 1 litre of water. You heat up just to boiling and you dip your clean and degreased metal (iron or steel) parts in the "soup for 15-20 minutes. You pull them out and see if colour is right. If so, them you dip into clean, next to boiling, water for another 15-20 minutes. After that you pull parts out, dry with a clean cloth and oil. BE EXTREMLY CAREFUL caustic soda could burn your skin or eyes badly, so used gloves and protection goggles.

Carles

Comment

Hi,

I would leave my item alone, no modern treatment will make an item better, only harm things more.
          Have a K98 bayonet, retaining 80% blackening, a friend said "Oh, I can clean that up to a nice polish for you!" No thanks, if all is OK - leave well alone.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X