Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning of photoes from albums..

Hello All,

I would like to hear how you are "dealing" with scanning of pictures in albums..do you scan the pages (if the pics are glued) or do you take the pics out for a better scanning..?..I have not yet taken out pics from albums, but it can be tempting because it is not always easy to make a nice scan..

Opinions, please..

Hans Kristian

Originally posted by narkose1958 View Post
    Hello All,

I would like to hear how you are "dealing" with scanning of pictures in albums..do you scan the pages (if the pics are glued) or do you take the pics out for a better scanning..?..I have not yet taken out pics from albums, but it can be tempting because it is not always easy to make a nice scan..

Opinions, please..

Hans Kristian
    Hans, I have done it both ways. I look at the mounting tabs, if so used, to see if the photo can be removed and put back after scanning. If it looks like you cannot I leave and scan the page.
    Of course page scanning can be problematic as well. Rule of thumb is don't do anything that will damage the album or photos.

Mike

Comment

Mike, thanks a lot for the comment.

I agree, it is not tempting to remove the pictures (we see ripped albums sold piecemela all the time on ebay), but it can also be a little bit difficult to scan some of the albums.
      Actually, I do exactly as you do; remove and scan what can be scanned, and scan the pages where not possible.

Hans Kristian

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
      Hans, I have done it both ways. I look at the mounting tabs, if so used, to see if the photo can be removed and put back after scanning. If it looks like you cannot I leave and scan the page.
      Of course page scanning can be problematic as well. Rule of thumb is don't do anything that will damage the album or photos.

Mike

Comment

If I'm able to remove the photos without damage, I do so, and place the photos in archival sleeves. Old photo albums are not good environments for long term photo preservation. If the album is captioned, I leave it alone. To me (and maybe me, alone), the album itself is of no value. The photos are what counts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X