A Display Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Display Question

Greetings gents. I have quick question. I have recently acquired this nice Lt. Waffenrock, I bought a beautiful display to put it on from the estand, but when the tunic arrived, it would not fit. So, I am using an older display I have around here that is made of styrofoam (sic). Not nearly as sturdy or attractive, so I am a bit upset, but I want to know if it is safe to use styrofoam displays for tunics? I know with medals, we have to be careful of what we store them in lest the material or its vapros damage them, is there anything to worry about along these lines that I should worry about here?
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Another shot of the tunic
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Comment

This display in question
      Attached Files
      All the best,
      Chris

Comment

Hi EKman, I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding styrofoam and cloth. I know it is not good on leather. If you want to be on the safe side, I would wrap the torso with a clean white cotton sheet.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I agree with Ade, Or use a white cotton T shirt over the bustform this is what I do,

Glenn
          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Great looking tunic and display you got there EKman!

Comment

Hey Chris -

Nice tunic!

I would think that putting a t-shirt or something over the foam will do the trick - I know that some forms of styrofoam give off some sort of gas that can damage cloth over the long run - folks always caution collectors about using the styro heads for their caps.

Don

Comment

I'd wrap the form in plastic before putting on the t-shirt.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I may put plastic wrap on the torso and then put a t-**** over it, sounds like good advice.

Best
                  All the best,
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Suter (Sarge)
                    I'd wrap the form in plastic before putting on the t-shirt.
                    Dave,

Is the plastic you mention like "Saran Wrap" or something different. I have my Dad's unform shirt on the styrofoam like EKman showed and his Ike jacket over that. To be safe, I'll change mine too but wondered if the "plastic" is something now to worry about.

Greg
                    sigpic
                    Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd ABN, 319th Glider Field Arty. A Battery - Normandy to Berlin

As it was their duty to defend our freedom, so it becomes our duty to honor their service.

Comment

Well, I'm no chemist, but I would assume that Saran Wrap would be safe, since it can come in contact with food. I'd think that if it gave off any vapors the FDA (or whomever) wouldn't have approved it. They also make the industrial-type wrap (much wider) that's used to wrap boxes for shipping, etc., but I'm not sure if it's the same chemical composition. Personally, I'd just use Saran Wrap.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X