Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can you do to fix moth holes??

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question easily answered. I am new to the forum but I have been collecting for a little while now. I have a decent collection going for myself but I was wondering what the opinion is about fixing moth holes or other damaged uniforms the one might want to purchase? Is it ok to sew them up? or is that a "no no"?

Any help I could get on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

it depends

It depends on the size and number of holes. But first you want to think about "messing" with an "untouched" tunic even if it has moth holes. A tunic with holes could be more desirable than one without holes. Just know the consequences before you do anything.

The rules have changed over the years.

30-40 years before the forum, I just sewed up small ones up with period thread. If you are careful you usually cannt tell this one done at a distance ot for that matter close-up, and can see them only with a magnifying glass.

In these days where everything has to be mint, I would not touch them.

Comment

So not even with period thread, dont fix the holes

Thanks for that info.. I just was thinking along the lines of what the soldier would do in the field to fix their uniform, but I also see the point in keeping things un-touched and "as they are" I guess when displaying them thats just the way it will look. How do you properly store a tunic or other cloth items from that period?

Thanks

Matt

Comment

A soldier in the field did not have moths eating his clothes. After 70 years, these items are generally not the same as when they were new. Wool is an organic material that breaks down over time, it is subject to decay. Usually it will show its age. These items can be stored flat in acid-free cardboard boxes with archival tissue made for this purpose.

Comment

Thank You Chris!

Chris,

Good point and well said, but what I meant was if a soldier had a hole or a button missing in the field would he not fix it and sew up the hole or just disgard the uniform?

I appreciate your help with how to store a uniform that is in decay.

Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
            A soldier in the field did not have moths eating his clothes. After 70 years, these items are generally not the same as when they were new. Wool is an organic material that breaks down over time, it is subject to decay. Usually it will show its age. These items can be stored flat in acid-free cardboard boxes with archival tissue made for this purpose.
            Thanks Chris, You may want to spend some time, and conduct a WAF conservation site search on storage. There have been a lot of postings. If your tunic is in decay as you have stated. It's a good idea not to move the tunic around from hanger to mannequin to storage box. Try not to stress out the overall fabric of the tunic. This will only speed up its demise.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X