Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bubbled paint

Question:

I bought a 5cm werfer kiste. Unfortionally it has some bubbles under the paint.

If I push them in, the break.

I know, best solution is to don't push them in.

But is there a solution to this without demolishing the chests paint (with like clear lacquer)?

I don't think there is, but maybe someone has an good idea.

Thnx!

If old paint bubbles, then its lost its adhesion with the base metal(most probally moisture is present, has turned to rust and spread underneath.It is basically in a very fragile state,(as you mention it breaks}.

I would dry the piece with a safe heat source to remove the moisture,put it in a 50% humidity environment to neutralise existing rust and prevent further rust and minimise handling.

Dont use lacqeur, as it may shrink as it drys and may cause fractures or cracking in the bubbled paint.Plus lacqeur will ruin its original look.

Comment

keifer kahn is correct... I'm not a conservator of media or paintings. (oil, drawing, or pastel paintings are not my thing) However I do know a little about it. Before oil painting are done on canvas. The raw canvas is sized with a usually animal based sizing. Over time or lack of proper sizing of the canvas can cause painting to peel blister or separate form the canvas. Sometimes the artist may have applied a very heavy blob of paint causing in time a separation, or a concaved effect.

Yes, humidity, and extreme temperatures can be a huge issue especially in 2D media. (oil painting) I would advise you to do nothing. I would consult a painting conservator before attempting any self repairs. Any unproven attempt to repair the painting could in further damage.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X