Patina prevention on bullion insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patina prevention on bullion insignia

I was wondering if there are ways to prevent patina to be formed on gold bullion insignia and piping? They tend to oxidize and tarnish over time.

From a 3 dimensional museum conservator I would not clean a bullion item. I have very carefully cleaned a small area (about a pea size) not to corroded on a SS bullion sleeve eagle. I used a microscope and a dental pick along with wooden tooth pick, and deionized water it took several hours to complete. I only had considered cleaning it because I could examine it first with a microscope. I looked between the metal and found the thread in good condition.

Many times the thread bellow the bullion is very frail or damaged. Bullion corrodes and eats away at the underling fabric and the bullion itself breaks down. The tannish tone and bullion is a mild form of corrosion and it too will wear or eat away at fabric below.

There are a few types of corrosion cleaner on the market. From what I have read, researched on their products. I personally would not use them. Not enough research has been done on This new product. I would worry about old cotton threads being frail. Once a chemical is applied the old treads below will get soaked with that chemical cleaner. There is no neutralizer to reverse the chemical. There is no way to get it off or out of any fabric below the bullion. One company cleaner suggested to rinse it off with water. I do not understand their method of cleaning bullion. Taking an old corroded eagle in possible fragile condition and rinsing in water, and spreading a semi diluted chemical further into the fabric of a tunic, or visor hat. I’m not understanding there logic here…

I would keep the humidity in check, and limit exposure to handle it with bare hands. I would recommend using vinyl or cotton gloves. Be sure in are inside air environment is not out gassing toxic fumes your display or storage area.
    <O</O
    Of course these are your personal items to do with as you see fit.
    Last edited by Paul R.; 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks Paul!

Does placing these items in an air-tight container help prevent patina?

Comment

I wouldn't use a plastic bag of any sorts. Plastic in time will sag and lay on top of your item. A small riker mounting frame is a good choice. I would place inside a small silica gel pack inside. In the bottom of the riker frame use a product call poly batting to line the botton. Poly batting (pillow stuffing) will not attract moisture. Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X