Ziploc bags for storage of cloth items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ziploc bags for storage of cloth items?

Just so happens Ziploc bags, freezer size, work great for storing Japanese yosegaki flags. They are air tight and I can't see nor feel any type of residue on the bag. Anyone know if they are bad for long term storage of linen items? Thanks...

Joel

Food grade ziploc bags are actually pretty good for storage. They are acid/residue free and won't off gas. As long as you create a negative micro-climate they're great

Comment

Thanks blinky. By negative mico-climate, do you mean like putting some of those silica bags in there to get rid of any lingering moisture?

Regards,
      Joel

Comment

I have always liked the Ziploc brand. I actually bought these bags a while ago when they first came out but only got around to using them yesterday (don't ask). Anyway, I decided that I didn't want to store our extra blankets and sheets in the closet without some protection so I tracked down my box. Wow. I was able to fit so much in just one bag!

Comment

Negative micro-climate such as sealing in humidity, etc. In an ideal situation the items should be allowed to "breathe" but the downside to that is the item is also exposed to dust and fluctuations in humidity. If it's sealed in a bag that helps protect it from dust and humidity (as long as it's kept in a somewhat stable environment and out of the sun). The problem is if it is sealed and the inside of the bag becomes humid, then it can remain humid for a long period of time. Silica can help but it's a good idea to keep an eye on it, schedule maintenance and pull them out once in a while. If you have a silk flag DO NOT use silica to keep out the humidity....silk is organic and needs some humidity in order to survive. If silk is kept in an arid environment it'll eventually disintigrate.
          To be honest this is great for long term storage. Keeping them in a good acid free box in a closet is generally just as good.....linen flags are pretty durable as long as you keep them out of the sun.

Check out the US Park Service Conserv-o-grams.

http://www.nps.gov/museum/publicatio...m/conserv.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X