Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust removal by Citric Acid

Hi to all,

I have noticed that most people who try to remove rust from metal equipment use mainly oxalic acid. Last week I found an old cartridge from a shotgun which had become a rusty piece of junk. After some research I found that any acid would do the job (however, strong acids seem to destroy the "healthy" metal as well) so I decided to try a really mild one which is citric acid. Citric acid is a natural ingredient of many fruits (e.g. lemons) and they also add it to beverages to make them a little bitter and to dozens of cleaning products. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the cartridge before, cause I couldn't image how efficient it would be but after leaving the cartridge in a solution of about 15% w/v citric acid for 12 hours almost 95% of the rust was gone (it precipitated at the bottom of the tube) and I could see the clean metal. I just though I would share this with you in case you want to use something which relatively not-toxic (although I am not sure if it is easy to buy pure citric acid easily).

Have a great night/day

Originally posted by Hartigan View Post
    Hi to all,
    After some research I found that any acid would do the job (however, strong acids seem to destroy the "healthy" metal as well) so I decided to try a really mild one which is citric acid. Citric acid is a natural ingredient of many fruits (e.g. lemons) and they also add it to beverages to make them a little bitter and to dozens of cleaning products. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the cartridge before, cause I couldn't image how efficient it would be but after leaving the cartridge in a solution of about 15% w/v citric acid for 12 hours almost 95% of the rust was gone (it precipitated at the bottom of the tube) and I could see the clean metal. I just though I would share this with you in case you want to use something which relatively not-toxic (although I am not sure if it is easy to buy pure citric acid easily).

Have a great night/day
    Yes your correct with your assessment. Citric acid has worked in many applications and not toxic....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X