Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helmet stand question

I have made a proto helmet stand.
    It was suggested that I ask here for ideas on the material to use as pads at the end of the support arms that the helmet brim will rest on. I was thinking of a type of soft rubber pad but what material definitely will not damage the paint over a long period of contact with the helmet?

Here is the link for the stand on the Helmet forum. Help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Mark

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=561772

Mark, Nice stand! You could be in business for a while making these. Do you know what type of rubber is used on the stand? (i.e. brand name). You can also use an archival foam product called ethafoam cut into small squares. Ethafoam comes in some different colors to blend in a bit more. Another fairly cheap product is the ethafoam tubing that is used to wrap hot water pipes. It’s grey and comes in 8 to 10 feet pieces, and there is a split down the middle. Sometimes is comes in different sizes. Most major home repair stores carry it. Sorry I can't recall manufactures name right now. We use this in a lot of museum displays. Another soft plastic tubing is the ones used in fish tanks. Not all but most are safe to use in fish tanks (you should ask if it doesn't say on the package) Most are clear in color we use this in most museum displays and is inert.
    Last edited by Paul R.; 12-18-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Hi Paul,
      Thankyou for your input and comments - much appreciated.
      At this stage I really can use anything that works since it is only a prototype. I just used rubber bottom chair foot pads that I cut down for this sample. In China one can source anything and since the quantity required is so small for this application I think price really isnt an issue so your inert foam is a good idea. Thanks. I will look into it.

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

I don't know how it is with WW2 helmets, but with WW1 helmets there is always the concern of not supporting the weight of the liner. A 100 year old liner is very fragile as it is, and letting it stress itself under its own weight is not a good way to display it. I remedy this by filling a acid free piece of cloth with batting and tying it into a ball that will fit comfortably inside the helmet.

Is there a way you can incorporate some type of system to support the liner?

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter View Post
          I don't know how it is with WW2 helmets, but with WW1 helmets there is always the concern of not supporting the weight of the liner. A 100 year old liner is very fragile as it is, and letting it stress itself under its own weight is not a good way to display it. I remedy this by filling a acid free piece of cloth with batting and tying it into a ball that will fit comfortably inside the helmet.

Yes I think I could work on something for that - maybe a different type of single arm system.

Since I made this so there would be no stress on the liner at all, why would you not want to use the stand the way it is? I think it will work for WWI helmets as well.
          Just interested to know your reason for wanting something to rest on the liner?

Thanks
          Mark

Comment

The liner needs something to rest on so that it is supported and is not stressed by its own weight as it is suspended in the helmet.

Comment

Camo Master, Chris P, Relic Hunter... Correct me if I'm wrong here, but according to the photograph at this thread http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=561772 (image nimber 2 straight on view of the helmet and the bar touching the rim) The round flaten bars are only touching the helmets rim? Is that correct? Paul

Sorry... Camo Master for doctoring your image
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Paul R.; 12-20-2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

The liner leather, especially in WW1 helmets gets very fragile and dry. And the liner pads are heavy enough that they will pull, stress, and eventually tear the leather if they are not supported by something. This can be even worse in American, British and French helmets where the leather liner is much bigger and weighs even more. You don't want to let those pieces sag under gravity. You want something soft inside (like a cushion as I described) that will fit snugly inside the helmet to keep the liner from sagging under its own weight.

I cringe when I see helmets that are sitting on a shelf with a 100 year old liner inside slowly falling apart under their own weight.

Comment

Yes! You are correct Relic Hunter. My over look on the WWI helmet liners. Actually on all helmets from British, French and US helmets.
                  I would use the soft polyfill (use to stuff pillows) to gentley place that in the head area to help support the leather liner from falling downward pulling away from the metal liner band.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul R. View Post
                    Camo Master, Chris P, Relic Hunter... Correct me if I'm wrong here, but according to the photograph at this thread http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=561772 (image nimber 2 straight on view of the helmet and the bar touching the rim) The round flaten bars are only touching the helmets rim? Is that correct? Paul

Sorry... Camo Master for doctoring your image
                    Hi Paul,
                    No problem at all for highlighting the photo.
                    Yes correct, the helmet is supported only from 3 small points of contact on the brim - 1 on the front and 2 on the back.

Regards
                    Mark

Comment

The liner leather, especially in WW1 helmets gets very fragile and dry. And the liner pads are heavy enough that they will pull, stress, and eventually tear the leather if they are not supported by something. This can be even worse in American, British and French helmets where the leather liner is much bigger and weighs even more. You don't want to let those pieces sag under gravity. You want something soft inside (like a cushion as I described) that will fit snugly inside the helmet to keep the liner from sagging under its own weight.

I cringe when I see helmets that are sitting on a shelf with a 100 year old liner inside slowly falling apart under their own weight.
                      Hello RelicHunter,
                      Now I fully understand your comments. Thanks for your explanation - it makes complete sense. After reading your comments I have already thought of a way to incorporate something into the stand to accommodate this need which I'll work on when I back in Hong Kong first week of Jan.
                      Thankyou for bringing this to my attention.
                      Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X