Helmets and sunlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmets and sunlight

I just picked up a nice M42 single decal helmet from the Collectors Guild with liner intact too boot. It's the first helmet I have picked up and want to display it properly. Is it best to shut it away out of sight, or can I put it in a room that gets a little sun, not too bright mind you, just a little sun through a small window. I worry about the paint and decal fading.

Thnaks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is in direct sunlight or a really bright hot room. A little light, like in your case, Shouldn't cause any problems.

Comment

I would definetly keep them out of direct sunlight. I typically keep mine covered to avoid all light. I wouldn't get too parnoid about it though

Comment

I have one shelf that is sort of high up but I only have my East German and West German helmets on that shelf. Older pieces I try to keep away from direct sunlight. Some natural light is fine but direct sunlight is a problem.

Then again I continually worry about humidity. As I'm in NYC the weather right now is terrible. It was 15 degrees outside and my apartment is on the 19th floor. So it is always too cold for me as we don't get as much heat as the people on the floors below 10. I turn on the unit heaters but then it feels really dry so I was boiling water and eventually the humidity is up to a comfortable 90%. That's nice for me as I sit at my computer and do work but I imagine it is terrible for my collectibles. I'm sure it isn't doing them any good!

Comment

Thanks guys. I too worry about humidty, but hell what can we do. Our homes are for living, not a museum.

Thanks again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X