Rusty spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty spots

Which is the best way to get rid of some rusty spots on the helmet without damaging the helmet?
    Thanks!

hi, don't touch it at all.....
    just preserve it in the right place in order to stop the rust.....IMHO
    Ciao Giorgio

Comment

You can try a little vaseline oil on a cloth ; this oil is clear and absolutely neutral, it won't do any harm to the paint or even decals. Its a good solution to stop the rust on the shells ; moreover, it will dissappear after a few months, leaving no residue.
      If it's only a few rusty spots, your paint is not in danger : leave it as it is : uncleaned / untouched helmets are greater IMO...

Comment

uncleaned / untouched helmets are greater IMO...
        IMO that's why this also counts for lids with heavy rust, dirt, ect...

I would never touch a helmet in any way, as bad as the condition is, just keep it in the correct place.
        'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Be sure you know that vasoline will make the helmet shinner than before, thus altering it's appearance and has been suggested by many senior collectors that it softens/loosens the paint..

I rarely do anything to a helmet, the one anti-rust product I've seen that is impossible to detect once applied is a product by Birchwood Casey called Sheath, super for spotting bad areas as the areas will look the same as before but the rust is neutralized...Still I wouldn't use that unless it's extreme..in a safe room temp. enviroment it will not get any worse

Comment

OK, thanks to everyone who replied.
            The helmet is M35 without decals and inside is pretty good liner.
            I got it yesterday in an old barn and guess who much did it cost?
            bingo! i got it for free. what a lucky guy i am

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X