Pecard's Leather Dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecard's Leather Dressing

Anyone use Pecard's Leather Dressing on helmet liners? I have a friend who is convinced I need to go and buy a caseload of this stuff. I've been trying to tell him that I basically leave everything as it is if possible. If the leather isn't dry I try not to let the apartment get too humid or too dry.

Obviously in New York in July and August that is tough...I can't stand AC. But I thought I'd ask if anyone has any ideas? I have another friend who soaked everything in this stuff and it just makes a sticky mess IMHO.

I have another friend who soaked everything in this stuff and it just makes a sticky mess IMHO
    Peter, I did the same with an Y-strap once...and indeed, the leather stayed supple but after a while it started to rot. Nowadays I leave all my leather fieldgear ( as well as liners) as it is, not to warm, not to cold and out of the sunlight. I don't have airco or a special adapted room ( only for my cigars!! ).

So wenn it really get's to hot in summertime, I close the curtains, put up the ventilator and place some small baskets with water for the humidity...I know, very 'amateuristique', but it works so far ( 10 years), the leather seems to be in the same condition I bought it...

greetings

Jan

Comment

I have a DD civil police helmet that had a liner so dry it pratically fell apart by touch. I used the Pecards "restorer" and it worked great. But if the leather is in good shape I say leave it alone.

Comment

Rarely will I treat any leather. The few times I've done so the leather has been very severe and is crumbling away. The only drawback I have with Pecards is it leaves the leather feeling oily.. When I have used anything it's allways been Lanoilin. In my opinion it has the least adverse affect out of everything out there.
        If you have any doubt leave it alone....

Comment

Hello Peter,

I agree with the sound advice already posted of doing nothing unless it's a last resort. When you must use something, and I like Pecards, the key is to use VERY little. A small tub of Pecards will last several lifetimes. Sounds like your friend hasn't used it wisely or with moderation.......

JH
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I agree with using very little when it comes down to using it. Heating it up will make this very easy..

Comment

I recently bought some Pecards for Antiques. The only time I would ever use it would be on FJ helmet chinstraps that are in bad shape....twisted, cracked and dry. Then I only use a very small amount on my fingertip and rub it in.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

it darken my helmet liner.

Comment

Pecards

Hey guys don't use that stuff , or anything else for that matter. You cannot bring old dried leather back to life , can't be done. All this nonsense about bringing old leather back to life or nourishing it is hooey. It's dead organic material. The leather treatments will soften but NOT RESTORE it. Softening can lead to rot/mold and in fact can make it even more fragile then before. Any dressings that are not Ph neutral can rot stitching. I have collected Civil War accoutrements for years and have seen great stuff ruined by these leather treatments. Having nearly 40 years of experience with accoutrements I have seen the long term effects as things have fallen apart over the years. In that collecting circle , treated items are worth less then untouched and destained !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These dressings are fine to keep modern riding saddles from drying out etc. but IMO and almost all serious collectors of early leather, to be avoided . More is ruined in the name of restoration then saved.If you postively insist on using something, get some Ph Neutral leather treatment or microcrystaline wax from a place like University Products, and don't use too much!

"Hear me now, believe me later" Hans and Frans

Comment

From past experience does anyone know how long it takes for the leather to lighten back to the look prior to using it? months, years, ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Smith
                      From past experience does anyone know how long it takes for the leather to lighten back to the look prior to using it? months, years, ?
                      In my experience (40 years) I have yet to see it lighten back to the original color.

"I find where nobody look" Gunga Din 1939

Comment

I agree : years for sure, and I would say perhaps never...

Comment

I have posted this before but here goes again. I have a civil police helmet that had a liner so dried out it fell apart by touching it. I used the Pecards leather treatment on it. It did darken it a little but totally saved the liner. I can touch the flaps now and even bend them without breakage. Civil helmets have a much thinner leather in them vs combat helmets. So in my opinion if you can get by without using anything, go that way but if your in danger of totally loosing the leather, use the Precards.

Comment

Originally posted by JaimeH
                            I have posted this before but here goes again. I have a civil police helmet that had a liner so dried out it fell apart by touching it. I used the Pecards leather treatment on it. It did darken it a little but totally saved the liner. I can touch the flaps now and even bend them without breakage. Civil helmets have a much thinner leather in them vs combat helmets. So in my opinion if you can get by without using anything, go that way but if your in danger of totally loosing the leather, use the Precards.
                            You are a brave man!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X