Ironing KM cap ribbons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironing KM cap ribbons?

I did a search and didn't find any posts regarding this, so what's the best way to get wrinkles out of a Kriegsmarine cap ribbon? I had it pressed under heavy books for days, and the wrinkles are starting to come back!

George
    George

Wrinkles

Is it cotton? rayon? Either way:

Try a steamer, like the travel steamers you see in department stores. Less chance of problems, as the steamer won't get the fabric too hot or wet, and you'll have more control. Gently stretch the fabric as you steam, to pull the wrinkles flat. The fabric will "remember" the new shape as it cools and dries, so remember to hold it "flat" as it does so.

If the wrinkles are "industrial strength", try slightly dampening the wrinkles, then iron on "medium". Try it on an inconspicuous spot first, if possible. There is a possibility that the iron will scorch the dyes in the ribbon if too hot, so caution is mandatory.

The problem is that all these solutions involve moisture, so proceed with caution. An excessive amount of moisture shouldn't directly affect the piece, but it might affect the patina.

The steamer, used with caution, is the best bet.

If there's wool involved, I wouldn't touch it. See a cleaner who is an expert in fine fabrics.

Good luck. Some would say the wrinkles are part of it's history, but if they really detract from the piece...
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

If you choose to iron, put a piece of cloth (i.e. a piece of linen) on top of the ribbon, and iron the linen. This will minimize the chances scorching the ribbon material. Use enough downward pressure on the iron to hold the ribbon in place, while stretching the other end of the ribbon. Make sure you use a steam iron, and CAUTION: make sure the iron temperature is not too hot! As Ralph says, if the wrinkles are very strong, you may have to slightly dampen the wrinkles.

Comment

Hi All,
        Both RKHunter and Ralph A are correct. I've ironed many different item including wool. Steam with a cloth over the item is the answer, just set iron for material type and go slow. Some of the synthetics are harder to get the wrinkels out but with practise you will be able to get most out.
        Terry Keller
        "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
        Rammstein

Comment

Thanks for the information gentlemen!

George
          George

Comment

I have actually ironed Royal Navy cap tallies and even documents (oil cloth driving license etc.) to get the bad wrinckles out....
            I used an iron with steam off and used a piece of brown wrapping paper over the item.....much the same as using cloth but I think the wrapping paper seems to have a better effect without damaging the article......

Sad really I learnt this in the Army!!!!

/Ian
            Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X