Visor cap display/preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor cap display/preservation

What's the best way to keep a visor cap? On a mannequin head, on a shelf, in a plastic bag? What?
    George

IMO best to keep on head and not the foam type. I do not like to sit them on a shelf because of the pressure on the visor itself.

Comment

Hi George, plastic bags are a definate no no These could cause condensation and in turn cause mould / mildew etc.

As Picone has mentioned head forms are ideal. I go with glass heads as there are no possible problems with fumes being given off from plastics or styrofoam.

Glass cabinets to keep them in are ideal as these keep the dust off. Most of mine are housed this way. I also have small packets of moth repellant in the room in general and in the cabinets. These are replaced every 3 months. These are lavender based but with the addition of an insectacide. So the smell is not like moth balls, which I dislike.

I check my caps every few months and brush any dust off when I replace the moth repellant.

Light, as we have already talked about in this forum is also a potential problem. Keep curtains or blinds drawn and avoid the use of strip lights.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

One of the best methods of display for visors that I ever saw was at the home of a collector in Plano, TX. He had these half globes of styrofome, covered in cloth, upon which he stored his visors (in a cabinet). This prevented the stress of resting a visor on its visor which, after a long time, may affect the integrity of the bill-to-hat connection (nobody likes loose bills).

Comment

Thanks, gents!
          George

Comment

I have maintained visor caps in plastic bags for more than 25 years. So. Calif. weather also helps but plastic bags left unsealed IMO and experience are ideal.

The surface remained dust free and no brushing or special care was necessary.

Minimal cost too...bags were replaced as they became dusty or dull.
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Visor cap display

Is anyone giving a thumb's up to hat stands? I am referring to the type sold on Derrittmeister.com et.al I was wondering if these can cause problems over time to the inside of the visor or not... Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X