BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used Oxalic acid on a helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used Oxalic acid on a helmet?

Hey all, was wondering if anyone has used Oxalic acid on a helmet before and what an appropriate mixture is? I found this at an estate (have not bought at this time), and while the decals are fake at first look it appears the shell is authentic though the lot and maker are obscured by paint. Estate seller is kinda snippy and not feeling like sending me a ton of photos so apologies for lack of those.

Can't tell if the paint is period re-paint or post war because it's certainly not green in my opinion. Looks like the crown is green, although faded. Could just be the lighting.

I'm thinking the liner looks OK at first glance too - D-ring is the appropriate squared edge for a single aluminum liner band.

Thought it might be a fun little restoration project on the cheap, just something different to try. I was gonna offer maybe a couple hundred, scrape the decals off and give it an acid bath and see what I get. Would love all your thoughts. Thanks!

imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg

Moved to conservation/safe keeping forum
    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Disregard this post. The estate seller was too busy arguing with me over text message whether it was "something I would want" and sold it to a "regular customer" of his. Nice.

Comment

when you see an item you have to move quickly

Comment

Originally posted by jmcm View Post
          when you see an item you have to move quickly
          Well obviously. He wasted more time arguing with me instead of sending photos so it wasn't really my fault.

Comment

Originally posted by akriener View Post

Well obviously. He wasted more time arguing with me instead of sending photos so it wasn't really my fault.
            no regret here ,nothing special it was

Comment

I've got a similar problem . I've got a nice example of an m40 police issue SE66 4884 in apple green . Trouble is , I got it in a swap from an old boy who back in the 70's was always messing with stuff and he'd put 2 terrible s.s. decals on it . Actually the swastika on the left isn't bad . But they bug me every time I look at them and am finally plucking up courage to have a crack at removing them . Any tips or ideas how to do so without too much damage ?

Comment

I thought you could maybe scratch them away with your fingernail or maybe an acetone? Could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by P.A.K.75 View Post
                  I've got a similar problem . I've got a nice example of an m40 police issue SE66 4884 in apple green . Trouble is , I got it in a swap from an old boy who back in the 70's was always messing with stuff and he'd put 2 terrible s.s. decals on it . Actually the swastika on the left isn't bad . But they bug me every time I look at them and am finally plucking up courage to have a crack at removing them . Any tips or ideas how to do so without too much damage ?
                  Pictures? A towel soaked with Luke warm water pressed up against the decals might loosen then up if they are the water transfer type. I wouldn't go scratching them with anything just yet.
                  Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                  teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

helmets are tough.. Not brain surgery.. N.O.S. decals can be found at any big show.. Applying correctly also not a big thing ..

You got to find a decals condition that matchs the helmet! The one shown looks near mint on a well used helmet. Maybe it's the photos ..

I'm not a helmet guy but if was I'd want to see it in hand,,after I've done my studying! and yeah I agree, wouldn't go scratching them with anything.........

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X