Effects of out-gas fumes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects of out-gas fumes.

Hi guys, I've been reading on here about storing daggers and seen mentioned that some materials produce what are called out-gases, can anyone tell me what detrimental effects these out-gases have on daggers?

Russ.

It would depend I think on what material was doing the off-gassing (or out-gassing). For example, people collect antique straight razors. Many of these, the handles were made with faux tortoise scales, over many years (like 50+) the celluloid used in these starts to break down and in doing so releases a gas that is very corrosive to the steel used in the razors.
    I've never heard of something like this happening with daggers however.

Comment

Thanks for the response Brad, I was curious because I have just made some displays for my daggers and have them lying on a thin carpet (old kitchen runner) and have painted the frames, I was wondering if over time there would be any detrimental effects from the carpet and paint.

Russ.

Comment

Nothing is 100% of course, but I think you'd be fine. Especially if your daggers are getting wiped down/ cleaned with Renwax every now and then. Stuff like paint will off gas when it's fresh or heated up. But even at that, it's unlikely your using paint with corrosive chemicals in it.

Comment

Thanks Brad, appreciate it.

Russ.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
            Hi guys, I've been reading on here about storing daggers and seen mentioned that some materials produce what are called out-gases, can anyone tell me what detrimental effects these out-gases have on daggers?

Russ.
            i think if they have survived the past 70 + years without any problems they will outlast most of us without any treatment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X