Visor Leather Sweatband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor Leather Sweatband

It has always seemed risky to open up the sweatband (as pictured). What is the prevailing thought on this? I have a few visors, and although the leather is in tact, this practice seems as if it could easily result in a break/tear in the leather.

Attached Files

It should be fine if done carefully. It is sometimes necessary to determine the authenticity of some caps. It's not something you will be doing every day, so no big deal!

Comment

You are correct ( the OP) this practice is risky and I have seen bands and threads broken by those doing. In maybe 9 out of 10 cases this serves no information purpose but modern collectors have this knee jerk impulse when looking at a visor.
      when I started buying visors most of these were 25-30 years old and materials in them were naturally much stronger on the whole. Now these caps are 75-80 years and are truly getting close to true antique artifact age.

Comment

Stiff sweatbands made of something other than leather will often break if you try to fold them up to look underneath. Be careful.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X