EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunlight/UV radiation damage to collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunlight/UV radiation damage to collection?

Hi guys,

Recently, me and my wife bought a new house but there's one issue:
    In my old house, I had a room without windows which I used to keep my display cabinet. There was no sunlight coming into the room.

In my new house, I have a beautiful new "mancave" but there's a big dormer with windows on one entire side of the room. Although there's double glass, I'm afraid to put my (glass) display cabinet in the room because sunlight/UV radiation might affect/discolour ribbons, documents or even medals/badges.

What are your thoughts? Would it still damage the items though double glass + a glass cabinet? I'm looking forward to your replies!

I would suggest buying “blackout” curtains, which are heavy drapes sold in many colors that are used to block out daylight for night shift workers having to sleep in the day. Properly installed, hardly any light will enter your new collecting room.

I absolutely LOVE mine.

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert,

Thank you but the thing is, I also use the room for other things. For example I'm also a music producer and my studio is in the same room. I kinda like to have a little daylight in the room. That's why I want to know if this can affect my items

Comment

Window Film

Hi,

Check this link out. I don't work for 3M but had this product in my old house and it worked great.

Mike

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/home-window-solutions-us/

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker Mike View Post
          Hi,

Check this link out. I don't work for 3M but had this product in my old house and it worked great.

Mike

It sounds like Mike has the best solution here, but for now I believe that you must at least avoid direct sunlight on your collectables.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker Mike View Post
            Hi,

Mike

Thanks Mike!
            I've contacted a company here in The Netherlands for more information.
            For now, my complete collection is safely packed in a box and I will not get it out before I'm sure everything's safe

Comment

In my room I have a 4' x 6' window, I have blinds on the window and a sheet of 1/4'' plywood painted white covering the inside. I was terrified of the sun destroying my hats and tunics.

Comment

I have UV protection on my glass. It works, but you can't use it alone. You'll also need curtains (but they don't have to be blackout curtains if you also have the window film).

B

Comment

To answer your original question, yes, sunlight and UV will destroy your collection.
                  Is it not possible to re-arrange the display cabinet away from the sun?

If you have direct sun, also consider the potential damage due to humidity level. Dryness is a killer to paper and wood.

Comment

Also be aware of the lights you are using in your room. The lights I have in my war room have also uv protecting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X