Leather treatment for liners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather treatment for liners?

Gents, A few months back I was fortunate to acquired a luger, some mags, and a holster from the recently passed vet's estate. The cute story is I offered the son some money and he declined. About a month later he called and asked if I would make that offer again. I asked _ What changed? He replied that he took the pistol apart and could not reassemble it - and he was a bit spooked. I told him the offer was good - just put everything in a box and send it to me. When it arrived it took about a minute to reassemble the luger.

Even better than the pistol was the 1941 dated holster by jhg. But the bottom of the holster showed drying and crazing. I asked for advice on the Firearms section and was told the only thing to put on it was Connolly Hide treatment which comes from London. I purchased a jar and it has really helped the holster. It doesn't look new but the crazing seems to have disappeared and the holster looks much better. Here' is the big question - I have a few liners that show their 70+ years of aging and drying - is Connolly Hide treatment a good product to use? If not is there something else? I fear time alone will destroy most of the leather liners. I appreciate your thoughts

Rich

Hi Rich, if you are talking about “helmet liners” they are best left alone but if you have to treat them try using a small amount of “ Pecard” leather dressing.
    Cheers
    Eddie

Comment

No treatment necessary , just keep the leather in a stable environment.
      Treated leather will affect value. Just look at helmet liners treated 30 or 40 years ago, they are not in better shape.

Originally posted by Rich Landy View Post
      Gents, A few months back I was fortunate to acquired a luger, some mags, and a holster from the recently passed vet's estate. The cute story is I offered the son some money and he declined. About a month later he called and asked if I would make that offer again. I asked _ What changed? He replied that he took the pistol apart and could not reassemble it - and he was a bit spooked. I told him the offer was good - just put everything in a box and send it to me. When it arrived it took about a minute to reassemble the luger.

Even better than the pistol was the 1941 dated holster by jhg. But the bottom of the holster showed drying and crazing. I asked for advice on the Firearms section and was told the only thing to put on it was Connolly Hide treatment which comes from London. I purchased a jar and it has really helped the holster. It doesn't look new but the crazing seems to have disappeared and the holster looks much better. Here' is the big question - I have a few liners that show their 70+ years of aging and drying - is Connolly Hide treatment a good product to use? If not is there something else? I fear time alone will destroy most of the leather liners. I appreciate your thoughts

Rich

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X