oxide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oxide

just discovered this oxidation on this board. thought of picking at it with a silk pin. thoughts?
    Attached Files

I would just leave it be. If you picked out the oxidizes areas you'll be left with bare areas
    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Agree--the powdering is the surface of the wire. If the wire is thin and it's been deteriorating for a while, picking it off will effectively remove the wire itself.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

Is this thread made of aluminum or some other metal?

Comment

oxide

aluminum. as far as i know there is no way to stop aluminum oxidation once it begins.

Comment

how about this?

If you were storing this away, not out on display, then you could use a vaccum food sealer and that would prevent the further ongoing oxidation process. I have never tried that, but seems like it should work?

Just spit-balling a thought....

JustinG

Comment

You used to be able to buy something called Aluminum Jelly to remove corrosion from aluminum. If you used some very sparingly with a tiny brush or a Q tip perhaps this would have the desired effect.

Comment

it won't stop..

- go to a beauty supply and get a couple of the finest/softest brushes they have.. They take your time and gently brush as much off as you can..
                The use either a keyboard mini vac and clean it,,,or your vacuum cleaner but put a piece of material between the hose attachment and the piece so the suction from these newer vacs don't damage it...

- don't store/display it with other pieces that are similar.

Guys like certain treatments [min oil, vaseline, etc.] on zinc pest affected medals/badges. Would probably work on AL, but I'd hold off on it until a more learned member can comment on it...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X