Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glider pilots name

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply => unfortunatly for you the name is not Lt. von Könitz.

I assume that you base this on the Flugbuch entry of the name of Lt. König, i have wipped out the Glider pilots name to keep his identity secret as it his wisch.

Cordial greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Giday Stijn,

I note that in the case of some flights involving the use of a DFS 230 glider two names are entered. Does this indicate that two persons flew aboard the DFS 230 glider? Would one of the men have been a pilot, possibly under instruction?

I look forward to reading what you have to say.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Entry's in the Glider Flight log.

Hi Ian,

Very well spotted +> it is indeed correct that in most cases on the shown page there are 2 names, this means indeed that the so called "Führer" was the actual pilot and the "Begleiter" was in many of these cases the Glider pilot instructor.

For example :

nr. 325: Schüler (= Führer) and the wipped out name (= Begleiter) meaning in simple words that the Trainee was the actual pilot during a training where the second person was the instructor.

You also can see more explanation in the 6 th row => entitled "Zweck des Fluges" meaning the "Goal of the Flight", here for the nr. 325 flight there is entered : "Schulflug" meaning = training flight

You are perfect correct when you say that the training person is a glider pilot who is still not fully qualifyed !!!

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Giday Stijn,

Thanks for the explanation. As always, your input is much appreciated.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Glider pilot grouping

Hi Ian,

You are always welcome

Could you help me with some of the signatures on the award documents?

Cordial greetings,

Comment

more to follow....

more to follow ....... (iff there is interest offcoarse )
              Last edited by Stijn David; 02-12-2004, 03:00 PM.

Comment

glider veterans

Hello,

Here is the promotion document from Uffz. towards Feldwebel, the signature is one i havent seen before but looking at the grade and who was commander of the Erg. Gr. (S) 2 at that time with that rank it has to be Oberstleutnant Snowadzki ???, any opinions?

More info is always welcome,
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Stijn David; 02-11-2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stijn David
                  This page is particulary interesting for one of our Moderators !!!
                  Ah Schäuble... *faint*

Thanks for sharing, my wicked good friend!

Comment

glider pilots with similarity's

Hello Akira,

It is always a pleasure to share with you and to see that we have corresponding pieces .

FYI: Schäuble and my fellow did know each other from the training days at Ostpreussen (Erg.gr.(S)1) and did meet again in Posen (Erg.Gr.(S) 2) , then they where togheter in Africa and finally they found each other again in the after war years during anual flying meetings . The similar way did end as Schäuble passed away several years ago !!!

Cordial greetings,

Comment

and it go's on

Hello,

Well you guys have seen the results of my last visit towards my dear friend, i had the pleasure to meet the fine gentlemen again during the last 2 days.

Here is another addition from this persons belongings => it is a small piece of text that is from major importance for the LW - Glider collector's amongst us and anyone who is interested in the LW-Feld. Regt. Barenthin, it will also certainly be of interest for our dear moderator Ian Jewison, please Ian comment as soon as you see what i mean

Cordial greetings,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Stijn,

A very impressive group....the last document is very nice to see as you know with a particular name and the award of the EK II whilst serving with 4/I/Lw Rgt. Barenthin.

Many thanks for sharing.

/Ian
                        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Here is the award entry in reference to the above document.

/Ian
                          Attached Files
                          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

awarding the iron cross

Hello,

I sis knew that you would be happy + i am happy once again from my side that we could link the one towards the other !!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the persons who think we are speaking into riddle's => the veteran from my grouping was one of the few who received the EK 1 for his and his plattoons efforts in Tunesia. While recovering from his wound in hospital he kept a very active contact with his old training unit (Erg.Gr.(S) 2 - Posen) and his friends over there.

The piece of letter is a writting from a close friend to congratulate for the awarding of the EK 1 + it also mentions other glider pilots who where awarded the EK 2 for their bravery while in Tunesia.

The soldbuchpage as Ian does show it comes out of the Soldbuch from one of these guys !!!!!!!!!!!! , then one see's how fun collecting can be

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Visiting German veterans

Hello,

Actually the person who brought me in contact with Lt. R. was anotehr Glider pilot (Namely Fw.G).

I do have contact for about 4 years now with Fw. G and i have met him for about 6 times. During my visits we had always a great time over and over again and he told me the story of his life (both happy and very sad moments).

He does know that i have a very major interest in his and other glider pilot story's and during my last visit he wanted me to have his personal items he saved from back then.

Stay tuned as the story coninue's

Comment

visiting German veterans ..... the story go's on

Both veterans where already close friends in the pre-war years (from arround 1934) and they did meet each other during Glider courses in the prewar years.

They both joined the HJ and where active as young glider pilots, both where so enthusiast that they did become a DLV and later on a NSFK member. As the years did pass on and both young boys where getting adults the war also did come near.

Both friends where drafted into the same unit (a Flak Unit), as they did live in the same town (they still do !!!!!!!! ) and they continued the Glider flying during there free moments.

Lucky enough for both friends the training officer was also interested in flying and they where allowed to make a own Segelflieger-Gruppe inside the Flak unit. Whenever they had time they where building there own Glider plane (a model SG 38 - Glider plane) and with this they managed to fly a few meters and soon there where other young fellow soldiers also interested in this new adventure.

During the western campaign the young soldiers did not see action but where made aware that there was a new German weapon and that it had to do with Gliding, etc ...

Offcoarse they both volunteered as theire dream was to fly and so they both where transferred towards the Segelfliegerschule der Lw (1) based at Neuhausen (Eastern-Prussia), Vet. G was promted towards Obergefreiten in late 1941.

The training was hard but both young men did hold on and they both qualifyed for the Glider pilots badge.

Here is the original award document from Fw. G , it is the large (early) variant of the glider pilots badge award document = Size DIN A 4

More to follow .......
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X