Almi tropical Herr M40 cap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almi tropical Herr M40 cap ?

As mentioned in an earlier thread. Here are some photos of an Almi made M40 visored tropical cap. ALMI is well known for making LW caps but there had been an ongoing discussion as to whether or not Almi ever made tropical Herr M40 caps ? Just a few months ago an unissued Almi was discussed with mixed results. Perhaps its time to re-examine that cap too ?

This cap has been buried in the collector's circuit for many years and just surfaced a couple months ago.
    rbn# marked 0/2009/0004 "Almr Unlform- u. MUtzenfabrlk. loh. Alfred Mless Luxemburg

So what do You think ? as always all comments welcome ?

thanks
    Tim
    Attached Files

sweatband
    Attached Files

Comment

interior & rbn# & grommets

Being able to upload four images is great by the way, thanks mods

And thanks to the owner of this Almi cap and the member that sent me the photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few photos of the other Almi cap discussed earlier with mixed results which i feel are do to the poor photos. There are similarities in the two caps. Though the grommets are an earlier type as might be expected.

Again all comments welcome ?
        Attached Files

Comment

As requested, here is the link to the earlier discussion on the 1941 dated Almi M40...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=Almi

Notice the construction of both the caps...

Comment

Surprised based on the earlier ongoing discussion for several years as to whether Almi LX ever made Herr M40's with 150 looks and no replies ?

No one has any thoughts on the interesting cap. With the blue sweatband material not encountered before that i know of ?

Comment

Most Likely Almi produced some caps..or these may be the highest end fakes ever made..without handling them and no longer owning the dozen or so M40s I’ve owned through the years I suppose they could be AOK Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                Surprised based on the earlier ongoing discussion for several years as to whether Almi LX ever made Herr M40's with 150 looks and no replies ?
                I think the reluctance of members to respond is due to the fact that the "Almi" cap has a number of authentic features (materials, markings etc.). For me however, I do not believe the cockade used even existed in 1941. Also, I have never seen another "Almi" Heer tropical field cap. I would love to see an exterior shot of the grommets as well. While somewhat convincing, it is not "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Comment

Hi Tim,
                  A couple of good points made by Billbert and OSS - and I am still not comfortable with the ALMI marked caps in the link for the reasons already stated in that thread.
                  The cap that started this thread differs in one very obvious feature and that intrigues me as I like it.
                  As I said in our pm's, the blue sweatband liner isn't a 'kiss of death' - just because I haven't seen it before doesn't condemn it.
                  I would like a 'hands on' on this one.
                  Regards,
                  Mark
                  NZ

Comment

Originally posted by billbert View Post
                    Most Likely Almi produced some caps..or these may be the highest end fakes ever made..without handling them and no longer owning the dozen or so M40s I’ve owned through the years I suppose they could be AOK Billbert
                    Hi billbert

Thanks for the reply. Yes Almi made lots of other caps so it would make sense Almi made Herr caps as well. Agree these are original or the very best of the superfakes we have been waiting for years to surface. Actually the rbn# Almi cap looks real good imo.

with kind regards
                    Tim

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                      I think the reluctance of members to respond is due to the fact that the "Almi" cap has a number of authentic features (materials, markings etc.). For me however, I do not believe the cockade used even existed in 1941. Also, I have never seen another "Almi" Heer tropical field cap. I would love to see an exterior shot of the grommets as well. While somewhat convincing, it is not "beyond a reasonable doubt".
                      Agree another reason is no-one or very few have seen an Almi Herr M40 and what do you compare this one too ? As to the earlier '41 Almi yes, am at a loss to explain the later cockade attached to it...also the timing of that cap surfacing and the other three superfakes was odd and perhaps revealing.

Here are the best photos of the exterior grommets on the rbn# Almi.

thankyou sir
                      Tim
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
                        Hi Tim,
                        A couple of good points made by Billbert and OSS - and I am still not comfortable with the ALMI marked caps in the link for the reasons already stated in that thread.
                        The cap that started this thread differs in one very obvious feature and that intrigues me as I like it.
                        As I said in our pm's, the blue sweatband liner isn't a 'kiss of death' - just because I haven't seen it before doesn't condemn it.
                        I would like a 'hands on' on this one.
                        Regards,
                        Mark
                        NZ
                        Hi Mark

Thanks for your thoughts and previous discussion. Not sure on the exact tropical cockade timeline ? But would think different makers started using the new version when the stock of the older version ran out. Simple explanation goes, early cockades appear on 1940-41 dated caps, 2nd version are on 1941-42 dated caps and some 2nd version are on 1940 dated caps. 3rd pattern on 1942-43 dated caps.
                        If Almi and other makers didn't start producing Herr M40's till late 1941 they may have used the 3rd pattern cockade on some of the caps instead of the 2nd pattern which was starting to dry up at that point. The timeline between when the 2nd pattern was discontinued and the 3rd pattern first used must have varied quite abit based on all the different tropical Herr cap makers from 1942 onwords.

As far as the rbn# Almi cap, we agree the blue sweatband liner is very interesting. Is it possibly blue LW material as Almi made lots of LW caps, anyone ?
                        Agree also would like to get a hands on

cheers
                        Tim

Comment

My vibe is good on the stripped cap to the extent that the pro’s outweigh the con’s in my opinion which, as you guys know, Im not too reluctant to express. I guess its all about our personal guidelines ie: criteria, by which we judge and feel comfortable in accepting.

Robt.

Comment

Do not know what to make of some of these second model and later soutached tropical M40's from makers not normally encountered. There have been two or three suddenly popping up lately. Each with a maker stamp not seen before in a tropical cap or in one case no stamp at all.

The only way one can begin to verify, is to compare with known original caps by that maker. Do these newly discovered tropical M40's have that makers manufacturing footprints ???

or do they have the footprints of dealers in Germany/ Europe today, who have access to original materials, sewing machines and can have stamps made ???

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                              My vibe is good on the stripped cap to the extent that the pro’s outweigh the con’s in my opinion which, as you guys know, Im not too reluctant to express. I guess its all about our personal guidelines ie: criteria, by which we judge and feel comfortable in accepting.

Robt.
                              Thanks Rob for your thoughts and what would we do if you became too reluctant

Agree, the rbn# Almi cap looks real good even with that blue sweatband. This cap has been in a deep sleeping collection for many years and just recently surfaced into the collecting community. Wise advice about guidelines, learn all you can about what you collect from fellow collectors.

Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 06-03-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X