LW General cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW General cap.

before I put this cap on the E-Stand ... I would appreciate a overall OK on it :-)
    Thank you,
    Marc
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi guy's No-one has any idea if this cap is original or not ? I have mixed feelings and need the "experts" opinion before I put it on the e-stand... Or not ...

I post a few more pictures.
        Attached Files

Comment

If you need detailed pictures, let me know ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Just my honest opinion : the piping looks more tarnished than the rest of the cap, almost aluminium... Any chance for it being a converted officer cap ?

Comment

Mark, to be honest I have my doubts. From the construction it looks like an early to mid-war Erel, but I have never seen that particular VLW logo on a cap, and some of the construction details seem a little off. I am hoping that Stonemint and Ben VK will chime in. If it is a fake, it is a damned good one.

Don

Comment

I agree, re-built cap.
                Easiest "tell" is the wartime air-cushion sweatband with a Voss Str address (the LVA moved from this address in 1937 to accommodate the new Reichskanzlei.)
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thank you guy's for your help. here another picture of the sweatband logo.

The "silver" piping is really GOLD, very tarnished but gold. I could clean it with polish and the gold colour would come back ...

So, a good cap but reconstruct ?? OK, bit what was the "original" cap then?

Marc
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hallo Marc

Some links I hope will be useful:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=vosstrasse

In my opinion the logo & lining are legit: a pre-war eReL sold by the Verkaufsabteilung der LW, Vosstrasse 7. I do not think that the different degrees of tarnishing are a problem. In fact, even the badges and the chincord are quite oxidized, though to a lesser extent. The same goes for the buttons and, in my humble opinion, it is highly dependent on where the visor has been preserved. At this point, given the other substantiated comments on its peculiar construction techniques, all its internal and external seams should be carefully checked. In this regard, it seems to me that, especially from shot n. 9, the seam is not perfect. If this is confirmed, then it means that the sb has been unquestionably replaced. From who, when and why, I have no ground to talk about.

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                      I agree, re-built cap.
                      Easiest "tell" is the wartime air-cushion sweatband with a Voss Str address (the LVA moved from this address in 1937 to accommodate the new Reichskanzlei.)

Could that be explained by them using up their old address stock once they had moved?

Comment

Hi again ..

Well seems to be not son convincing any-longer this is a fake ... Not even a "reconstruction"

I looked at all the stitches very carefully, like I probably did 35 years ago when I got the cap .. ( Yes, recovered the provenance and date of purchase :-)
                        They all look absolutely fine. The visor has triple stitches what is normal du to the visor, and the sweat band. Also there, under the silk lining, the red pencil markings .

Marc
                        Attached Files

Comment

//
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hallo Marc

You say you looked at all the stitches very carefully and they all look absolutely fine. I have no doubt of this, and you have also posted a lot of close-up pictures in support of this. You are in the best place to judge because you have this visor in your hands and you own it since many years ago. I do not discuss the presence of the triple stitching, however, from what I see from the image n. 12, the intermediate vertical seam appears to me still messy. There are some dark traits: what are they? Maybe empty holes? Furthermore, the gray seams do not seem to coincide with the apex of the lower inverted V. Just my personal opinion of course.

Best regards

Marcello

Comment

The Erel patent was not granted until August 1940.
                              The "Patent Stirnschutz" logo was not used until that time.
                              From 1938-August 1940, the "D.R.P. angem." stamp was used (ie, patent pending).
                              As stated supra, the LVA moved out of the Voss Str in the fall of 1937.
                              The sweatband is incongruous with the rest of the hat.

The hat should have a 1/2 fold-over and 1/2 sewn sweatband.
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X