Display eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display eagle

I got offered this eagle, but is really a ww2 German Nazi eagle?

Story:
    The eagle was taken from an official German building in 1945, by a Danish
    resistance man, who kept it in the family, until now (no pictures from the
    German building, or from his home)

Dimension:
    Weight = 10.29 kg
    Length = 75 cm
    Height = 37 cm
    Markings = No maker, but the number 1942

The purpose of this is to establish if it is a authentic ww2 eagle, if that is not possible, then at least establish, that it is not a well known fake or just a fake

A definition of an authentic ww2 eagle is for me, that it is made during the period of ww2, not necessary by an official German manufacture, but a Danish contracted manufacture, but the looks / material etc is to real (does that make sense ? )

Best regards
    Dk Hunter / Søren
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Funny, I have never seen this eagle before in 20 years and now two of them pop-up at the same time. Check out this same eagle, but beware....

http://www.wwiidaggers.com/35450.htm

One might have been cast from the other or they might both have been cast from the same mold. All I am going to say for now is that I find Thomas T Wittmanns description extremely dubious and his claim that it is a Kreigs eagle from a sunken Schnellboote is very doubtful.

Best Regards,
              Michael

Comment

Hi

Thank you, for your reply

Looking at the piece with the swastika, the Wittmann looks more crude and missing details.

Best
                Dk Hunter / Søren
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Soren,
                  Looking at them carefully, they are exactly the same, the only difference is that your eagle has added hand-peening ie. someone has used a hollow tube to beat the tiny circle pattern into the soft bronze around the swaz - not at all unusual,
                  Best Regards,
                  Shaneos

Comment

Eagle

Hi the eagle you have looks very convincing . The detail on Wittys piece is very crude to say the least. Look at the edges of Wittys piece they are unfinished . And as already stated the area around the swastika is crude as is the swas. I say your piece has a chance but why the date and no maker mark on these pieces? I been told by JR these bronze ones showed up about 8 years ago when Witty had the first one. I like the one you have and it looks like it was on a building and has nice patina to it . Wait till JR chimes in on it for his opinion. Cliff

Comment

To me, it's a little odd that the only markings on the back side is a year (1942) of manufacture......I guess I would have to see a period photo of one of these, as my initial impressions say that neither one of these is an official Third Reich eagle.......Bodes

Comment

Hi Soren,
                        Maybe post this eagle in the 'Political' section also. I'm also hoping JR comments and that Br James, Mil and Erich chime in as well,
                        Cheers,
                        Michael

Comment

Hii Michael,

I haven't spoken up on this thread as display eagles like this one are not in the realm of my experience. I've never owned one and haven't studied the nuances. Sorry, my friend!

Br. James

Comment

Ditto that, and ...

Originally posted by mloppkit View Post
                            ...Maybe post this eagle in the 'Political' section also. I'm also
                            hoping JR comments and that Br James, Mil and Erich chime in as well,
                            Cheers,
                            Michael
                            I've never quite figured out how wall, train, & ship
                            eagles ended up being posted on the flag forum ?

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                            ...I haven't spoken up on this thread as display eagles
                            like this one are not in the realm of my experience. I've
                            never owned one and haven't studied the nuances.
                            Sorry, my friend!
                            Br. James
                            Ditto that. Although I would mind having one of these...
                            OLDFLAGSWANTED
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic
                            .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Reply from the Political Section:

hey søren

in this catagory i hate to bring sad news mate, but i see atleast 2 of the excact same eagles on sale in DK right now, one for 500 eur and one for 1333 eur...hmmmm, thats the first bad news.

Imo the eagle itself is also filled whit red flags, the wings are wrong, the reverse is wrong along whit the swastica, actually the fakers mark is excatly like the SA tischhadler so maybee the same guy, but anyway ur eagle is not uniqe as a replica.
                              The original eagle is ultra rare and extremely hard to find due to the allied regulation council and there Denazification directives where they practically destroyed most of them shortly after the war, so looking form a history eye it can be hard to see whos the enemy in the creater or the destroyer.

I do collect eagles myself and have a coupple of originals too ( train/SS ) in my collection but imo this eagle dont even come nearby in kvality or manufacturing sadly, however they/this are still pretty expencive even in replica.

sorry mate
                              I've never quite figured out how wall, train, & ship
                              eagles ended up being posted on the flag forum ?
                              I also don't know why these eagles end up in the flag section of the forum.
                              Which part of the forum do you suggest they get posted or do you think that
                              maybe there needs to be a section for these items?

And the bigger Question- Why are they carrying Railway Eagles on top of flags in 'Raiders of the lost Ark?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X