Japanese Army Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army Helmet

Seeing that some Forum members have been posting their great Japanese helmets, I thought I would take the opportunity to post some pictures of my Japanese Army helmet. I recently obtained this one and it has a rather interesting background. This helmet was found in a wooden crate which was purchased from a USMC vet’s estate. Along with the helmet, the crate contained a number of other items, such as pieces of Type 99 rifles (two barrels and trigger assemblies), a Japanese bayonet, a cleaning rod and various odds and ends. The crate did contain an amazing (and in great condition) Type 99 sniper rifle. Unfortunately, I was unable to purchase this rare rifle.

The helmet had a small tag attached that indicates it was taken from a Japanese sniper (whether the helmet was also from the former owner of the Type 99 sniper rifle is not known). Judging from certain vet made notations on other items, it appears that all these items came from the Okinawan campaign.
    <O</O

As you will appreciate from the pictures below, the helmet itself has a net which still contains bamboo leaves tied it. The netting has some breaks to the string along the edges of the helmet, but it is still in relatively good shape and has never been removed. The bamboo is brittle and shows a considerable amount of age, as should be expected. The helmet shell also shows considerable use and has moderate paint loss. I am also attaching a close up of one of the liner pads, since it contains certain Kanji characters which I hope someone here may be able to translate. The last two pictures below have been modified by me in hope that the Kanji characters stand out better and can be more easily identified.

I hope you all enjoy this one. Needless to say, helmets like this one are quite rare (if this one is not downright unique). The first picture shows the front of the helmet:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WalterB; 10-03-2004, 05:19 PM.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Side view of the helmet
    Attached Files
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Picture of the liner
      Attached Files
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Detail of the liner pad with the Kanji characters
        Attached Files
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

A picture of the liner pad that has been enhanced
          Attached Files
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Second and final enhanced picture of the liner pad.
            Attached Files
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Palm Front

Here is a similiar one with the original cover. Interesting that the fronds are done the same way. This walked into an area antique shop by the Vet who brought it back.
              Attached Files

Comment

The inside
                Attached Files

Comment

Killer , did the helmet come with a cover too?

Comment

That's exactly the way if came from the veteran's , complete with cover , nets and mouse nest inside. Surprisingly I got 4 or 5 Japanese helmets from Vets with the covers still on within a two year period a few years ago. Then not a single Japanese helmet of any kind since. One is a NLF with the cover, very minty a 40th Division vet found it in a Japanese Naval warehouse in Korea where he was assigned to blow up all the ammo stored there in 1945 .

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg
                      That's exactly the way if came from the veteran's , complete with cover , nets and mouse nest inside. Surprisingly I got 4 or 5 Japanese helmets from Vets with the covers still on within a two year period a few years ago. Then not a single Japanese helmet of any kind since. One is a NLF with the cover, very minty a 40th Division vet found it in a Japanese Naval warehouse in Korea where he was assigned to blow up all the ammo stored there in 1945 .
                      Hello nutmeg it would be cool to see some of your other Japanese lids, sounds like quite the collection

Comment

Originally posted by RCE
                        Hello nutmeg it would be cool to see some of your other Japanese lids, sounds like quite the collection
                        I'll post some more over the next week. Will be in and out so might be a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg
                          Here is a similiar one with the original cover. Interesting that the fronds are done the same way. This walked into an area antique shop by the Vet who brought it back.
                          Nutmeg, it is very interesting to see another one with bamboo leaves! Twice as interesting to see that the same exact technique was used to attach the leaves to the net.

Perry, if you are referring to my helmet (I am not sure), the helmet did not come with a cover. It is exactly as it came out. The netting has not been removed or altered in any way.
                          When you go home
                          Tell them for us and say
                          For your tomorrow
                          We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB
                            Nutmeg, it is very interesting to see another one with bamboo leaves! Twice as interesting to see that the same exact technique was used to attach the leaves to the net.

Perry, if you are referring to my helmet (I am not sure), the helmet did not come with a cover. It is exactly as it came out. The netting has not been removed or altered in any way.
                            Do you think it is bamboo leaves or palm leaves?

Comment

WALTER, I'M NOT A JAP NUT BUT THAT IS A AWESOME HELMET! DO YOU THINK THAT THE CAMO THAT WAS TIED ON THE NET WAS LONGER AT THE TIME THE SOLDIER PUT IT ON AND THEN CUT DOWN WHEN IT WAS BROUGHT BACK? VERY NICE EXAMPLE PF A BEEN THERE HELMET. CHRIS

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X