X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Pfeife - Nice Find!

Hi Collectors,

Well these babies a super rare to come accross but i have been fortunate enough to snag my self a beauty so I'd thought I'd share it with you.

Enjoy!

JustinC
    Attached Files

This is the first time I have seen a stamped/marked Botswain's pipe.

Congratulations,
    JustinG

Comment

Absolutely great find, JustinC. Congratulations! Do you have any provenance with it?

This is the first one I have ever seen in another collection, other than as pictured in reference books (Angolia, "Die Kriegsmarine", vol. 3, pg.258; and Williamson, "Torpedo los!", pg. 366).

Hope you don't mind - not to hijack your thread - but as a reference I will include pictures of mine here for other collectors to see and compare. It differs from yours in that it is unmarked and does not have the "fin" continuing up the bowl of the pipe. Those pictured in the above-noted references refer.

The lanyard came attached to this pipe as I acquired it from a U-Boat war veteran in Germany in the 1970s (along with his other regalia).

Thanks and regards,

John
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Justin, John, by all means post away. I really want this to become a thread for those to post for reference, as these babies are SUPER rare. It came out of an estate sale in Germany but i have no provenance unfortunately but I will ask, you never know!?

If any others have examples please feel free to display! I'm sure there are a number of variations to these babies so it will be very nice to compare.

Kindest Regards,
        JustinC

Comment

Nice to see, i have never seen a KM marked before

Andy

Comment

Comment

Hello Justin,
              first one for me too, it looks like a nice and well marked pipe !
              cheers, Pierre

Comment

Mine, from a Kreta Vet.

John
                Attached Files

Comment

hello, could you post a detailed pic of the markings please, all previous marked ones that I have seen were faked, so I am really thrilled to examine yours!

Comment

Do you mind if I "Pipe" in here? Not KM period marked, but Imperial and named with the gentlemans name and rank
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I couldn't get any clearer foto, but there is an imperial crown above the letter M
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice find Justin

Here's mine, a well used one.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                          hello, could you post a detailed pic of the markings please, all previous marked ones that I have seen were faked, so I am really thrilled to examine yours!
                          Here you go! Looks nicely stamped to me

Cheers

JustinC
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, but IMO, this is not original, or has been doctored. If this the one that was sold recently on eBay.de, beware....

The marking's look crude, the eagle is different from two other genuine examples I have seen, and placement of the alpha/numeric marks is different, and I do not like the cord ring...

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Hi PAB collector,
                              Yes this is the one sold recently on ebay.de? I have never seen any others like it and yes the eagle is slighlty different from the standard M with the eagle over it. Saying this I have heard other collectors say that they have seen both varients, M beside and under the eagle. I actually don't have this in hand yet to see for myself the look and feel but the seller has given it a full guarantee so if there are others out there that are forged I'd like to see it.
                              I did enquire about the provenance of the piece but the seller siad it was only recieved from the family for him to sell. It is provenen that these do have the marking on them from orginal and some say thats the only way to know if it is indeed 100% apart from having been given a piece from the sailor himself as above pieces show.
                              I guess its hard to tell as these are indeed so rare and not many have been sighted. Saying that any further pics or info on a similar forgeries would be great! Back at you guys.

Cheers
                              JustinC

p.s - here is a link to a KM marked whistle but surely there were varients of these as shown byt the different pieces already displayed?
                              http://www.atlantik-pirat.com/images/gunbosun1.png
                              Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 04-10-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X